11-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #35
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneda215 View Post
As another data point:

I have a 2017 330i and I've noticed this too. Below 1/4 tank the knocking is pretty evident, though not as pronounced as some of the previous videos. That being said, I didn't reach under the car to record, and it was only heard in the cabin. I'm taking it in in a few days to work a separate issue and I'll report back if BMW has any fixes (although I'm sure they're going to align with the notion of it being within "within spec").
Thanks for chiming in. I still have the noise but it seems less "loud" since putting 2,000 miles on the car. But it's still there below 1/8 tank BUT I've noticed that I can get it to make the noise at or below 1/2 tank for a few seconds if I come to a quick stop. I'm guessing the gas sloshed forward and thereby creating an low fuel load in the tank momentarily.

I'm still curious what the actual root cause is. Is it the fuel pump? Or is it related to the tank contacting something above it with less gasoline in the tank weighing the tank down, as mentioned by roundel335? BMW might say it's "normal" but no other car I had ever had this noise. Not even the 2015 335ix I traded for this!

I wonder if other members have had BMW address their issue since I started the thread but who may not have updated us here.
Appreciate 0