10-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #21
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The answer really depends on which tune you are running. With MHD or a load-based tune you won't make any more power with a turbo upgrade because the tune is basically setting the power level.

With BM3 and a boost-based tune you can in theory make more power at the same boost level (i.e., actual load would be higher) and the answer to your 2nd question would be yes, you would make more power in the upper RPM by virtue of actually meeting boost target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
It's all about the tune and how it's done, PS2 is able to hold a steady boost level till redline, if your tuner is able to keep 17psi till redline (with the neccesary fueling and octane) then it'll do that, but stock turbo physically cannot as the turbo just isn't big enough, and you run the risk of overspinning.

Its better to choose a good safe consistent boost and timing level with a decently low WGDC for reliability and logivevity.

I'm still debating whether I was to run PI with meth or just run a upgraded HPFP, where I currently live, my 91 octane is like 89 octane and we had to reduce boost and timing to 14.5 and 6-7 degrees, from 15.7 and 7-8 degrees.
Thanks for the responses, both make perfect sense. I'll probably end up getting the PS2 installed, and not changing the tune just to see how it feels, and probably end up getting a custom tune somewhere down the line.