Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Can some of you more experienced photographers direct me with composition? Is this something that I just "learn" as I take more pictures? What can I do to improve?
Someone suggested taking photography classes.. I guess I should start there.
For a general guide and exercises and tip, I recommend Digital Photography School at:

http://digital-photography-school.com/

I see that Rule Of Thirds has been mentioned. As you consider that, also read about The Golden Ratio. Rule of Thirds is a simplification of The Golden Ratio. I have a grid in my viewfinder that has me thinking about Golden Ratio, also, when I process, I keep a grid of thirds on the screen.

Anyway, get on the DPS email list and look through their archives. Thinking about composition as you shoot is an important first step.

Some people like to plan an image and the execute. I like to study the subject on the fly and keep altering my perspective to see if I can strengthen the image. Do this enough and then, occasionally, I balanced image will just present itself and you're ready to grab it.

I couldn't stage the following image, but years of constantly thinking about composition, knowing my camera well enough to have it set properly, all conspired to have me ready when the opportunity presented itself:

Valobra - Street Scene by David Stephens, on Flickr

Shoot lots, but always be thinking.