Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
No G21 and no 3 pedals a lot of argument not
to buy it.
Yeah, for like 10 guys on the internet. No one cares. Vast majority of people who buy a 3 series in 2018 probably don't know how to drive a manual and have zero interest in a 3 pedal daily driver. What are we, taxi drivers in Indonesia? A manual transmission? Sorry.. in all seriousness, The 3 series is getting softer and more refined every year. There are better cars to have with 3 pedals. The 8speed ZF suits the 3 series perfectly in my opinion. I did an extended test drive in my friend's 340i with the 6 speed, shortly after he got it. Isolating the tranny for a second, I thought it was divine. Didn't find the pedal travel to be too long and not so numb that I couldnt easily find the engagement point and really nice and fairly short, positive throws. I also liked and was not annoyed by the auto rev match feature. Made it impossible to drive badly. Still, I felt a pretty obvious disconnect overall between what my left leg and right hand was doing and the engine/car itself. Felt like a simulation or something. The car is so quiet and heavy, it just didn't really do anything for me, the manual 'engagement' factor. My wife's old Pontiac Vibe (basically a toyota matrix) had a 5 speed and a gutless 4 banger engine and it was much more engaging than the 6 speed 340i. My 2 door Mk6 GTI, forget about it. SO much more fun. Zero comparison really. Now that was a car to have a 6 speed in. As good as the DSG can be, the 6 speed is great in that go kart. The 340 is basically a land yacht. Once I test drove an Audi A5 coupe with the 6 speed manual as well. Talk about a rare combo. Did almost nothing for me. Literally nothing. Dead quiet inside the cabin, totally refined, couldn't hear the engine. Basically just like, pushing a lever around and pushing in the lightest clutch on earth.

What is it with the undying fascination with 3 pedals in a $50000 luxury car in 2018? It honestly makes no sense. Go buy a used STI or GTI or an old E46 330i or a mini cooper S or an old Mustang supercharged SVO or something to get your rocks off. Or better yet, an MX-5. Seriously.

An MT makes more sense to me in a GTI or a mini cooper or something - a small car you can whip around, something more raw and less refined. I didn't walk away from that drive being like "sigh I wish I had gotten the manual". Not at all. So the moral of the story is it probably won't come with a manual, it won't affect sales at all and only car magazines and guys on BMW forums will talk about it.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 01-21-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
alex23642860.00