01-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #30
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
The eccentric shaft does not lift the valves. It moves an intermediate part so that the camshaft increases and decreases valve lift. Didn't think I had to further explain how valvetronic works, my bad.

If you knew anything after the N54 you would realize carbon build up hasn't been a major issue since. N55s don't even need it after 100k miles.
so let me get this strait, if the valves were stuck in place and didn't move at all past 50%, that eccentric shaft would have exactly zero more load than normal in trying to move that intermediate shaft to 100%? A part directly responsible for how far the valves travel is not effected by anything the valves are doing in the slightest. If that is the case let me know.

My understanding of how valvetronic works, it would have more pressure on the shaft if the valves had buildup and there was more friction in the full travel length which would show itself after long term driving under a specific throttle range and then going to wide open after build up occurred. some pictures of the wear would be nice

while carbon build up isn't normally a problem with the n55 or b58, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen like you're suggesting. Faulty components can always lead to carbon build up. With the added piece of mind that we as B58 owners have of not worrying about carbon buildup, it also prevents us from catching other symptoms that would show up in the intake because we simply don't check it.

With so many B58s reaching that 100k mile mark we are reaching completely unknown and untested waters, the truth is we have no idea why it is happening and we're guessing.

in case anyone needs the visual here is a nice video.

Appreciate 0