05-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #1819
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
There seems to be an increasing concern about the new Indian variant and in particular a worry it's looking like being more transmissible than other strains of the virus. Hopefully it won't delay the lifting of lockdown measures but only time will tell; however, if it does will questions be asked as to why India wasn't placed on the red list sooner? It's been obvious for a while things weren't good over there but we seemed very reluctant to stop people coming from India and entering the UK ...
That variant that you mention does seem to be more transmissible, but I dont know if on a one to one basis it is more transmissible than the UK variant, the Brazilian variant, etc. for example the UK variant (B.1.1.7) is everywhere here now. We take all positives and sequence them for public health and the dominant strain is now the UK variant. We are starting to see the P1 variant or Brazilian variant.

To state the obvious the situation in India is tragic and will likely have global implications. Based on my experience there is no evidence that any variant can outwit the vaccines. For natural infections the answer for some seems yes, the virus can outwit the response of an infection. Which is sort of interesting to ponder. Get the vaccine and in general you will be strongly to moderately protected from all strains as of right now or take the risk of getting the virus, which is likely in my guess to over 90%, and then get it over and over again. The vaccine gives a killer immune response that is much greater than that seen in many infected folks (not all of course, as some folks have some a good response).
Appreciate 0