03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #84
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Nice, your reasoning is great! It is definitely pretty confidence inspiring to go AWD + snows in winter conditions. Out of curiosity, do many people go the coilover route with xdrive? My understanding was the mechanical xdrive linkage might have problems with a lowered car, but that was just from speculation as to why no drop was on the xdrive. How low are you planning to put it? Do you need adjustable arms or does BMW come with them? I'm guessing you didn't go DHP?

I don't know the answer to whether or not "many" people go the coilover route with xdrive...but I know from posts here and from searches online that coilovers and lowering springs are available for xdrive 335s. I haven't decided on how low I will go yet, but my intent is enough to make the 20" HRE's look "right." As always, before I pull the trigger and order everything, i'll have invested time on getting professional opinion from places like Turner Motorsport etc on what the right suspension is to ensure my 3 handles appropriately with both the winter and summer set-ups i plan to run.

I did not go DHP. the auto-335xi i test drove didnt have it and it looked fine (no huge gap between tire and fender) and it handled great as well. Any handling short comings I'll address with aftermarket parts if I think it's that bad.
Appreciate 0