03-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #96
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
I did not come up with the definition of active and passive differential. It's the industry standard and about as clear cut as the difference between an open diff and LSD.
Fair enough, I'm not going to argue semantics. I never called anything passive, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. I said "reactive".

Quote:
The new M5 definitely has an active rear diff. Based on the press release available, the C7 will sport an active rear diff as well.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/09/28...ial-in-detail/
You are right, I read wikipedia and read the e39 instead of F10. Didn't know that about C7.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't know if you really know what you are talking about here. You don't know the fundamental difference between active and passive awd systems. Then you try to say that a Torsen based system is superior, how is that relevant to the rwd vs xdrive discussion here?
Alright buddy, feel free to take pot shots at me. Not sure where I fail to understand the difference. I was explaining a reactive system...but clearly you don't care, so forget it.

Quote:
I will leave you this to ponder, if a passive Torsen diff is truly superior then why does Audi use an active rear diff today (namely the Sport Differential) instead of a Torsen rear diff like they did back in the late 80s?
Simple...rear diff eliminates understeer as it uses a feed forward control structure. You can easily anticipate torque appropriation based on inputs regardless of disturbances. The purpose of the center differential is to maximize traction regardless of performance, the only way to improve performance is to increase the rear bias via changing the nominal gearing. And Audi uses the crown center differential, not a torsen (which cannot self lock).