Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx450 View Post
May I ask the stupid question as to why spend the money doing it yourself when it comes included with the new car maintenance from BMW?

Growing up, I always changed my own oil so I completely get it. However, I'm definitely not going to spend the money doing it myself when it's included with the car.
"Free" oil changes were included in several of my last new cars and trucks. Starting about three vehicles ago, I haven't let the dealerships touch the oil. Instead, I put duct tape on the drain plug and fill cap with "NO OIL CHANGE" written with a black Sharpie. I've told them to leave the oil alone and to do the usual inspection and tire rotation. Why? Because dealerships are no better than Jiffy Lubes when it comes to doing the job right. What does "doing the job right" entail with something as basic as an oil change you ask? For starters, how about using the right oil (weight and/or conventional vs. synthetic). Or how about using a crush washer? Or how about using a torque wrench with the proper torque value rather than a gawdam breaker bar? For starters...

Everyone here understands the importance of using the oil prescribed by BMW's engineers for their particular model. My 340i requires 0W-20 LL-14 FE oil. Currently there are just a few companies that satisfy that certification. BMW, Castrol, and Fuchs. Technically it's not "required," and certain LL-01 oils suffice (per the manual). But guess which oil my local dealership uses for oil changes? They use Pennzoil that doesn't have any of the aforementioned certifications. Some say BMW oil is Pennzoil Platinum/Shell Helix. If that's the case, why no certification?

Bottom line is this: oil is the lifeblood of any vehicle. I'm very particular about oil. It's an issue that means a lot to me. I've invested a lot of time into researching the issue. It obviously means more to me than it does the dealership. I'm also a cynical conspiracy theorist who thinks BMW's conveniently round-numbered and arbitrarily-assigned 10,000-mile oil change interval was a decision made not by engineering but by accounting following a thorough cost-benefit analysis weighing their cost in servicing oil-related mechanical issues prior to 10,000 miles against their labor and materials cost in affording buyers (every car sold) "free" oil changes at 5,000 miles instead of 10,000.

That's why.

Last edited by MateoTorgy; 04-22-2016 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0