07-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #165
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
A good way to test, if you have the opportunity to, is to make a sweeping left/right turn w/ a small bump or road imperfection, and test the feel at slow speeds and high speeds on sport setting. If it is in fact adaptive, it should feel dampened at slower speed and a bit harsh and non compliant at higher speeds.

I know KW is a great product, as the hundreds of thousands of previous BMW owners would attest, but it would not make sense do develop an entirely new dampener just for F3x EDC folks, and offer another DDC model for non-EDC BMWs. It would make more sense to adapt the same product for the entire chassis offerings, and revalve & spring for different chassis.

I think this is why Bilstein is taking forever also, maybe in their best interest to just adapt an existing product from Porsche or other VAG offerings to the F3x EDC cars, as the market isnt that big compared to F80 and other M-markets.
I'll try that out sometime. I understand what you're saying about making a specific F30 damper. However, I'd think they can simply use the OEM realtime algorithms and communicate the date to-and-from the KW (same as the OEM EDC coilovers). Whereas, the non-EDC DDC setup simply has an fixed variable for each setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
All you have to do is drive over a speed bump and you can feel the difference between COMFORT and SPORT/SPORT+ modes. I drive over 2 speed bumps coming in and out of my condo complex and it is very clear (with OEM dampers).
Without question. However, what we're talking about isn't the obvious fixed changes that occur between modes, but the realtime adaptations the system makes multiple times per second (depending on your driving conditions). We're not 100% if the KW Plug & Play DDC coilovers do this (like the OEM system), or if they're simply a fixed dampening for each mode.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0