View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think people need to be more specific when they offer their criticisms. The E9X non-M cars didn't have modes that affected steering and chassis feel; the F3X does. So when a person juxtaposes their feelings about the E9X versus that of the F30/F32, they need to state something like this, "In Comfort mode, the F3X steering feels lighter than the that of the E9X." That's a more accurate statement than just claiming one is lighter than the other. Sport/Sport+ has heft and a nicely weighted steering feel, and arguably feels better than any non-M E9X. The funny thing is that people complained about the light steering in the E9X M3's servotronic rack, but forgave it because it was communicative (..once they adjusted to it). People have really short memories. Normal mode in the M3 wasn't to my tastes, so I always chose the heaviest of the steering modes.
Plus wheels and tire comparisons, whether tire pressures were checked and tires warm, etc.

Seems weight and heft are the big criticism by many. Personally I don't see why it rates so highly, in gauging whether steering is up to the mark. Plus I feel suspension and chassis configurations have a major contribution to steering feedback, as fluidity of the chassis can add or detract to/from steering feel.

Isn't steering weight more a personal like or dislike? I've driven Ford, Vauxhall, Jaguar (XF) and other examples with far "lighter" steering than my E91 330d with its heavily weighted HPAS, and the other cars had similar, (or better), steering for feedback and feel. Added steering weight/heft is a preference rather than a mark of good steering, in my opinion.

I posted in the other topic that I prefer my 5-series steering in the normal mode, find the sport mode (although nicely weighted) feels damped, compared to the normal setting. I like the more sensitive feel to the steering in normal mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0