AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM57 View Post
It's nice to hear that you had a positive experience with your first F30 test drive and thanks for sharing your detailed impression.

Have you had your E90 since new? That's a lot of mileage (to me). Has it been good to you?
No worries!

As far as the e90 goes, I actually bought the car in 2009 with around 50,000 miles on it. I knew I would have the car for a long time, so I wanted as few options as possible. I bought it from a dealer in Texas off lease, because I couldn't find a non I drive/stick/sport close to home. Thanks to a shitty economy, I was able to buy that car super cheap (like $18k).

I'll give you a cliff notes history of my car - its been great and really sold me on BMW.

I have had next to no issues with the car, outside of wear items most of they money I have spent on it has been voluntary. Around 60k miles it needed a starter - that pissed me off. I did the water pump around 150k miles because it was starting to make me nervous.

I have the front M3 control arms - the lowers are on their 3rd set, and the front sway bar links only last about 20k miles before the ball joints wear out and make noise - but I get Maylees from FCP Euro for free- lifetime replacement. Only $50/pair to begin with. Back in the day I also got a deal on the OEM Performance Suspension - all four dampers/mounts/bushings for only $133. Much tighter than (worn) oem sport shocks and still holding up. I read someplace that they were bilstein sports painted black but I don't know for sure.

I have also done all four wheel bearings - the rears were noisy around 120k.
I have done almost every arm/bushing and link in the rear. Aftermarket toe links made a DRAMATIC difference in rear stability, and have eliminated the need for me to do M3 rear subframe bushings. because of how much they tightened up the rear. Really I can't stress how much they helped. Also did the rear camber ball joints as they were getting sloppy/noisy.

The big money I spent was on a LSD, with 3.38 gears which really woke the car up. The ratio is 7% shorter which was enough to help with torque multiplication but not so much to kill the gas mileage. An AA tune and BMW PE also helped to give the perception of a little extra kick.

Finally, I never had a problem with the brakes on this car - the 330i came with big 13" front and 13.2" rear brakes (rears the same size as 335i) but I got a deal on a set of 335is front brakes - a massive 13.7" front with 2 piece rotors. With a set of EBC Yellows all the way around, I have never run out of brakes on the track.

So at the end of the day I have been lucky with the car, but I take above average care of it. Most wear items are reasonable. It's a fun DD, and a great track rat - fast enough to be fun but it won't bite your head off lol. I recently got my dad into HPDE, and we both run my car since he is in Novice and I am not. After two days of two driver HPDE, the car doesn't break a sweat.

Hopefully If I get an F30 for my better half it will treat us just as well. I really would like to find a steal deal on a 320is with a stick but those are really tough to find.

Tim
See my signature. I also own a 2006 330i Sport/6MT with 170,000 miles, but I bought mine new (mine's also been very reliable). I also own a 2014 335i MSport 6MT.

I'm surprised you're as easy on the F3x given your experience with the E90 330i. They both have their merits, but as a driver's car, there's really no comparison. If I'm making a run through the twisties, I'll take the E90. Every. Single. Time.

[note: I'm not saying the F30 is a terrible car...I like many aspects of it, and it may be the best "overall" package in the market for a four-door sports sedan today...but it's not the dynamic canyon carver of yore]

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0