View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #41
liljestig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G08 iX3 M Sport

Post BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz

The comparison between the new F30 BMW 328i and the now slightly outdated W204 MB C250, is not relevant. If any they should compare the C350 with the 335i instead.

The new N20 four-cylinder engine of the BMW plays in a completely different league than any of its four-cylinder competitors, including MB. It is meant to replace a three-liter six-cylinder engine in terms of performance and smoothness (using balance axles), while at the same time saving 15-20 percent fuel in compare to its six-cylinder predecessor.

So which is the better car? It depends.

I can only refer to my own experience, and then only compare with the outgoing E90 BMW 3 Series. Having driven that car for two years, spending 80,000+ km, and then switching over to a W204 MB C Class for a month, I quickly realized what's different about these cars.

The E90 BMW 3 Series is continuously calling to be "driven", and when pushed, it immediately responds with: "Bring it on! Give me more!", while the MB's answers to the same task is more like: "Sure I can do this, but slowing down is also an option."

As I found, the BMW is much more fun to drive around town, and more enjoyable for trips lets say less than 300 km. But it can also be quite tiring driving for long hours, due to its somewhat nervous personality. The MB is however of a more relaxed nature, yet very competent when called for, but never really as inspiring to drive actively.

The difference with the BMW, is that when arriving after regularly spending 400-500 km behind the wheel, it takes its price in the form of: aching back, sore butt, and sometimes feeling completely exhausted. In contrast, traveling the same distance, on the same roads, with the MB however, it instead makes me feel more rested, relaxed and better prepared for the other activities I am set for when arriving.

My opinion is that the BMW is definitely the better driving machine, end of story. But as a "people carrier", "transportation device", and simply the more comfortable "vehicle", the MB is king. (And no, the MB is not to be compared with the "sitting-as-a-passanger-behind-the-wheel" feeling that I get when occasionally driving my mother's Toyota Prius)

If like "driving", and mostly do shorter trips, the answer is simply "BMW". But if frequently traveling long distances (three-four hours) and want to arrive more rested and relaxed, I would say the MB is the better choice.

But perhaps the game has now changed with the new F30 BMW 3 Series, having a softer and a more matured driving attitude than the E90?

Since not driving so long distances anymore living in Singapore (at least not frequently), my choice is already made. (BMW ) And tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to pick up the new beauty..
Appreciate 0