View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #16
Kel918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
While I wish this were a proper fix, it's not. The car uses the MAF sensor for metering the air coming into the engine. Without that sensor, the engine runs "open loop" or, in other words, since it cannot tell the mass of the air, it just runs a conservative amount of fuel and timing that should satisfy all conditions. Since air density changes with elevation, temperature, and humidity, that means the car now runs in a mode that will be safe at 0 ft above sea level AND 10,000 ft above sea level... this means it is by no way, shape, or form, going to yield better fuel economy or power for that matter.

This is tuning 101 - you need to know RPM and load, and since BMW uses the MAF sensor to determine the load, you now have no load reference and thus have a fault-mode tune running.
yeah I understand that completely, and again it doesn't change the fact that the car runs better, smoother and I'm getting better mpg. I drive to work on eco mode and the car feels as if I was driving in comfort. I would suggest to disconnect your maf sensor and do a custom 3 inch intake and then comment on your results. Also my co-worker has a new audi tt-rs and that car doesn't even have a maf sensor
Appreciate 0