08-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Wow you waited a long time!!! lol

1) What does tuning actually do?
From what I've read Bootmod3 increases boost and fueling. Going upto stage 2 alot of people complain the stock fuel pump is a weak spot. It can't deliver enough fuel.

2) I heard spark plugs need to be changed more often w/ a tune. Why is this?
I have not heard this but it has been discussed to change out plugs to one step colder. I am tuned with bm3 and followed their recommendation of NGK plugs. I tuned at 48k so they were probably ready anyway. The tune will place a little more stress on the motor. Unless you are tracking every day I don't think you will notice much decrease in longevity.

3) I know the N55s are notorious for their oil filter housing gasket (OFHG) leak and valve cover/valve cover gasket oil leaks - would the aforementioned mods w/ a tune expedite these leaks?
Haven't had any issues yet. I'll address when/if they arise.

4) I've read somewhere that there is such a thing as too large of an intercooler. What does this mean exactly? Is this implying that too large of an intercooler is simply a waste (does not add any value) or that it can actually cause negative effects? With the given mods and Stage 1/2, which size is most appropriate? 5", 6", or the race/competition versions?
Too large an intercooler can cause turbo lag I believe. I went with the VRSF 5" street cooler. It looks nearly twice as big as stock. Stock is way too small IMO.

5) With the given mods (high-flow catted DP, CP, and FMIC), I was planning on going Stage 1. However, I'm reading that Stage 2 might be more fitting. Is there any adverse consequences going w/ Stage 2 as opposed to Stage 1? And for that matter, vice versa?
I would go stage 1 at first just to see how your car responds. I only need to the catted down pipe to finish my performance mods. The car is very noticeably quicker.

And in terms of build quality, I've read from many different sources that VRSF is generally the worst quality, while ER sits at the top, with CTS Turbo somewhere in the middle. I was thinking of getting the CTS Turbo charge pipe and a VRSF intercooler (sizing depends on feedback from this thread). A bit on the fence regarding the DP as the price difference between VRSF and ER is pretty noteworthy. I wouldn't get the current VRSF iteration due to fitment issues, but there's a new one coming out 8/23 (supposedly). Any suggestions/recommendations?
Buy what you like and can afford. I found great deals on VRSF charge pipe and intercooler. They were not easy to intall (did it myself) but they fit and work fine. I just can't see spending too much on pretty much the same part from a different vendor. Now I'm sure some of the more expensive brands are nice quality but it they all do the same thing....

Last but not least, I plan on doing the mods myself. Any pitfalls I should look out for? Plan on following Kies Motorsports videos.
No pitfalls except to allow enough time. What you think may take 2 hours could take 5-6 if you get in a pinch. Make sure you have all the tools and back up clamps in case you break something. I usually plan the installs on weekends when I have a few days. Good luck and let us know how it goes.