View Single Post
      08-14-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Glad you found it helpful. I like to take the time to pass on what I've learned and I appreciate what others have taught me.

You're kinda over thinking this Stage1/ Stage2 stuff. I commuted for many years everyday on the Schuylkill Expressway, an infamous name that will draw a reaction from anyone who knows Philadelphia. So I get it about your commute. Our car is full blown Stage2 at this point. When it's in Comfort mode and you are stuck in bumper to bumper you won't feel any difference from what you have now. Unless you absolutely floor it.

Sport mode feels perfect. The gas pedal response is much quicker and the car is like a cat, always ready to go. My wife and I just took a four hour round trip that had everything from 80mph turnpike, to winding country roads to dreaded bumper to bumper. It was as simple as driving in Comfort mode when in any kind of traffic to flipping the switch to Sport when things opened up. We really love this car!

I asked the same spark plug question back when my Fabspeed downpipe was being installed and I wanted to flash Stage2 before I'd have a chance to upgrade the plugs. Everyone told me to relax, that I wouldn't break anything running either plug with either tune.

Now I'm running BM3 Stage2 N55 EWG with NGK 97506 gapped down to 0.022". That model of NGK plug was on international backorder recently. Not sure if they are available yet. I was paying $14/plug.

I've been using an ECS magnetic plug for my oil for over a year because the Dimple magnetic plugs were so much more expensive. But I got a Dimple for my LSD and it seems like it's much more powerful. The LSD doesn't have a drain hole, just a fill hole. But any metal particles that slosh by, that Dimple will grab. I'm going switch my oil plug to a Dimple too. Also will be getting Dimples for any other fluids as I change them- front diff, transmission, transfer case.

Upgrading to an aFe Pro Dry drop-in airfilter for about $75 is a good idea. Engine will breathe better & get a slight power increase. It's a lifetime filter that's easily washed with dish soap and warm water. Save the original filter to pop in for a day while the aFe air dries.

Whenever you next replace your brake fluid (at least every two years) upgrade your rubber brake hoses to stainless steel brake lines. StopTech's are $106/ set of four. Much more solid brake pedal feel, a big improvement.

Torque values are absolutely critical especially on a finely engineered machine like BMW. There are probably areas on Bimmerpost that have torque values listed. And the owners manual has many. I'd suggest getting a Bentley shop manual if you are doing your own wrenching. They aren't cheap anymore but you can grab one on sale if you look around. I bought one and I refer to it all the time. It's a great resource that contains a lot of BMW and model specific information that I wouldn't know otherwise.

Have fun!
Again, great info - keep 'em coming
Appreciate 0