View Single Post
      03-10-2023, 07:32 AM   #13
rogersmj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I am confused on what measurement device I should trust. The Bimmercode app, the car, or the NOCO external charger? I trust the NOCO. How can you verify that the others are correct?
Yeah you picked up on that too I'm also kind of confused about which one I should be really paying attention to.

I'll say this though: I "trust" Bimmerlink insofar as the State of Charge level it reports is from the car's sensors, and I presume is also what the car is reacting to when it tells me that the battery is discharging while the car is off. So the Bimmerlink reading is valuable insofar as it shows me what the car "thinks" is happening.

Quote:
Not sure if I understood this one: so you fully charge the car based on your external charger confirming it, you let it sit for a day, and then it reads around 60%. But when you hook up the external battery charger it goes back up to near 100% within 20 mins? Because, if that's the case then whatever you use to read the battery charge as 60% is not correct. Cannot charge back up that fast.
That particular comment about "20 minutes" may have been a red herring, in that I think the NOCO charger will sit at the low red light for a little bit when you first hook it up regardless of the battery level while it "figures out" the actual charge level. I didn't realize that when I first made that comment but it seems to do that whenever I plug it in.

Quote:
Also, yes voltage reading may be an indicator of battery health, but not necessarily battery charge/status. So I would not rely on that too much.
OK good to know.

Quote:
Also, your car is fully charged based on your external charger, but then after 10-20 mins of driving/using the car you car does place itself into emergency shutdown? What is the status of the battery charge then? How long does it take to re-charge it? If it takes only 20 mins to recharge, then you car is not assessing its own battery capacity or charge level properly.
Yes, that's what it's doing. It was fully charged before I drove to Costco, about 10 minutes away, but when I came out from Costco it was in "low power mode" again. I took it home and charged it...but unfortunately I don't remember how long it took to charge up that time. I need to get more scientific about this.

Quote:
You definitely need ISTA to look up hidden codes that Bimmercode will not show. Also, to help you run a diagnostics.

What I am trying to get to is if your car maybe thinking (misprogrammed) that it has a larger battery than what it really has...and even if it is fully charged the car thinks it's depleted.
Yeah I think at this point you're right I need ISTA. And yeah I was also wondering about the car "thinking" the battery is discharging when it isn't, that's why I keep checking the state of charge with BimmerLink. I did double check the programming a few days ago, and it's programmed for a 90 aH battery (which was the OEM size) and I have a 95 aH in there (and all the suggestions I've found online indicate it's fine to leave the car programmed to 90 aH for a 92 or 95 battery).

Quote:
Note: Pulling a fuse for a component may not stop a short in an associated circuit from draining your battery.
OK good to know. I suppose if that's the case I wouldn't necessarily see the power draw when measuring at the multimeter with the fuse, would I?

Last edited by rogersmj; 03-10-2023 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0