View Single Post
      11-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #40
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyb26 View Post
Anyone have any idea if a short daily commute would be bad for the clutch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Clutch wear comes from transferring torque from the powertrain to the drivetrain. This can be exacerbated by adding more power to the car, launching, or slipping the clutch, or a combination of the three.

Agree with G.Newt. It's bad for the engine, particularly the fluids. You want your oil to get up to temp, otherwise you are wearing our your engine components faster. It also can prevent condensation from burning off, which makes your oil more effective. It sounds like you're driving enough, though, if you put on 3k miles in 5 months.

The clutch, on the other hand, shouldn't have an issue. It's just OEM organic material made to work through a wide temp range. It's kind of like stock brake pads. If anything, too much heat is what would kill it. (i.e. slipping/burning up the material)

BUT, if it's anything like the clutch replacement my friend did, the clutch very well may be fine. The pressure plate just can't hold the torque. I'd argue that BM3 has more torque and potentially higher peak boost at lower RPM than JB4. It's also a different car, so the clutch could just be a bit weaker than your previous F30. For sure weaker than the F80 twin disk clutch. Unfortunately, you'll need to pull it to do a diagnosis of why it's slipping. I don't think we have any inspection holes on our trans or any way to see the clutch disk.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
joeyb26281.50