View Single Post
      11-13-2020, 04:33 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
For 300 cell high-flow cats, the euro-compliant HJS catalysts used by Wagner and Fabspeed and HJS downpipes are very expensive and I have not heard anyone getting a CEL but at 300 cells per inch, the restriction is close to asking yourself why even bother.
If you are asking yourself that for 300 cell, you must as well be asking it for the 200 cell.... the difference in backpressure / gas flow is minimal, see the diagram below. However one comes with an emission standard retention guarantee and type approval (and of course no CEL), the other - with a user manual how to cross fingers. After all, you get what you pay for....

There are a lot of threads related to Downpipes here.
I did my own research, whereas my priorities were (in that order):
- Performance increase
- Retention of the environmental standard of the car
- Quality and sustainability
- Sound improvement at the cost of minimal to moderate noise increase (I'll keep repeating this - "sound" and "noise" are 2 terms confused way too often...!)
- Price

I concluded I need to go for a HJS-based downpipe.

Dav340 Since your priorities may be different, my best advice is to simply search the forum and read the existing DP-related threads.... You will be able to draw your conclusions after that. Also don't forget that sound is dependent not only on the DP, but on your entire exhaust system. If you already have a sport exhaust system or parts of it or are planning to upgrade it, I would strongly advise you against catless.... you may very quickly end up in a very loud car with harsh and corrupted exhaust sound.
My experience is somewhat limited, but it confirms the advice @mike@x-ph.com gave you above.