Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by intl440 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just installed some new wheels on my 2018 440i RWD coupe. Got a great deal on a set of Vorsteiner VFF103 and decided to put them on my car. The spec is as follows: 19x8.5 ET30 (front) and 19x10 ET45 rear wrapped in 235/40r19 and 275/35r19 MP4S, respectively.

While this is a near flush fitment, I am now experiencing rubbing near the top of the fenders (not liner) front fenders. The tires make contact with the top of the fender, just behind the front edge but still the painted part. This usually happens with any moderate travel in one or both of the front struts.

I am looking for any suggestions or advice on what might be best for me to get this issue resolved. I currently have the car on Ohlins Road and Track MP00, so there can be possibility of ride height adjustment. However, I doubt that will be very effective given where the rubbing is happening.

So far I've read about camber plates, M4 LCA upgrade, and front camber bushings. For those with experience with any of these, please do share your results and the changes to driving that you've noticed.

Thank you everyone! Really hoping to get this car up and not rubbing to enjoy the rest of the Summer in the SoCal canyons
Not sure what your stock tire size and model was, or what tire model you are using now. It’s possible that you’ve chosen a tire that’s about a half inch greater in diameter. That shouldn’t cause rubbing but can contribute.

UPDATE: You said that you are currently on MPS4S. That’s a 26.4” measured diameter from TireRack’s specs. If your stock front tire was say 225/45-18, those are typically about 26.0” in diameter.

You mentioned that you are lowered on coilovers. That can also contribute to rubbing. The ET30 offset contributes also because it pushes the wheel to poke out of the wheel well. ET35 is a more typical 8.5” wheel offset, but up to ET42 can sometimes fit without rubbing inside on the strut. Of course, higher offsets can easily be adjusted lower with the addition of spacers. A 5mm spacer turns an ET42 into an ET37. But if you are already at ET30, then a spacer can’t be used as a fix.

A 235 wide tire on the front is not aggressive. 255’s can easily fit on the front and sometimes 265’s if all of the various specs match up.

When is the last time that you had an alignment done? I’ve seen alignment be the difference between hitting and tucking under. If you don’t have room for adjustment, then camber plates might be a solution, maybe along with raising the coilover ride height a little. Don’t do M4 control arms. They aren’t a true bolt-on upgrade, so they can create a whole new can of worms.

Great videos from FaRKle! below:

Favorite Camber Plate Improved
https://youtu.be/Je2fopKBn5g?si=3S-jRUJuljwh3erS

Older Comparison of Camber Plates
https://youtu.be/sAaLvIqSRV4?si=iXKgXxtp6OMMVG68

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
intl44016.00