View Single Post
      08-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #55
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I'm failing to understand why some people are so obsessed with returning some of the hardest jobs back to the US.

The unemployment in the US is ~3.8%, which is considered a full employment, not like you are missing jobs. So really, no need for some extra jobs, especially not the tough ones with low salaries. It just means that with more jobs, the US would need more workers/immigrants. But at the same time, the same people who want those jobs back are against immigration.

Why would somebody want to bring back the steel and mining jobs when those jobs are poorly paid and at the same time are some of the most difficult and dangerous jobs around. Not to mention the environmental impact of such industries.
You should be happy for getting rid of those jobs and focus on better quality jobs such as engineering, services, design, manufacturing of complex devices (such as BMWs ) etc. Why would anyone want to work in a coal mine if he can work in a BMW factory?
I don't get why some folks are obsessed with "HARD WORKING", that should not be the goal of the progress. Why is MANUFACTURING better than engineering?

I agree that China is not playing fair and that something has to be done (jointly by the US, Europe, Canada, Japan etc.), but the taxes are not the solution since they are hurting the American companies the most.
Appreciate 0