Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1 View Post
From the original post it sounded like a oil pump from the start. Did I read correctly these engines have an oil pump with a plastic impeller? I have never like the sound of that.
Where did you read that? I have an extremely difficult time believing that such a critical component would be plastic. The oil pump itself is conventional and of the same design BMW (and likely most others) used for years - a rotary vane.

Go to page 73 of the technical manual (p 79 of the PDF itself) found here - http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor...BIMMERPOST.pdf - for details if you're curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC2000 View Post
Anyone know the life expectancy of the oil pump? Just wondering if it's advisable and cost effective to replace it at say 60k for those planning on keeping the car long term.
Oil pumps are almost always "lifetime" parts. Perhaps the definition of lifetime has changed, but I can say with some confidence that you'll never need to worry about preventively replacing the pump, 200k miles and beyond.

Unfortunately, while the mechanism and style of the pump is nothing dramatic, it is placed at the flywheel side of the engine and driven by the counterbalance shafts, which are in (if I recall correctly) some kind of innovative arrangement. See the PDF above, same section. What this means is that the oil pump is a unit integral with the shafts, and the assembly is replaced together - see page 75 (p 81 of the PDF).

Here you can see the assembly: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/F3...stem_oil_pump/

A $700 part, which isn't bad in itself, but obviously a very involved R&R.

The thing that strikes me is that BMW actually launched a recall involving the oil supply and the possibility of it becoming restricted. "The oil supply via the intake camshaft to the vacuum pump could become restricted. If this were to occur, the vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist." Questionable, perhaps...
Appreciate 0