Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1
I might have it confused with something about a waterpump. I could have sworn I read a thread somewhere about a pump with a plastic impeller.

I am new to BMW's so I have little no experience tinkering with them, only other makes.

The original post mention the delaer telling him there was metal and plastic bits all over so that was what triggered a vague recolection of threads about a pump (oil or water) with a plastic impeller. If neither pump has them, it would not be the first time I am wrong, or the last.
Ah yes, plastic impellers became infamous in the E36 and to an extent E46 generations. The modern (N55/N20) electric water pumps seem to be much more mechanically robust; while I think it's fair to say that the impeller is plastic, that plastic is much further developed and may even be a composite (I think I read this but I'm not sure... it may be called out in the technical manual).

The junk found in OP's engine is collateral damage from the sudden failure of a camshaft at running speed. The story is that the oil pump "may have" failed, which to me sounds like they really don't know what happened. Again, the verbiage of the recall has me wondering if there's more trouble there than BMW let on about.
Appreciate 0