Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo
Or better do all the N20s have the same pump? They have used the N20 in the X1/X3 for years. I haven't heard much problems with them. Good point too on the pump might have multiple suppliers as well. That didn't occur to me but given their sales, I think you are right they most likely have more than one supplier for pumps as well. I am only concerned because I want to put a Dinan tune on my car. I have the extended warranty but Dinan only covers the original not extended time which expires in 2016 (one year). I am not keeping this car to 100k but if the oil pump is a weak spot just waiting to give way at 60-70k then adding the extra stress would not do this any good.
I checked and found the part numbers to be the same as the X-series N20. It is of course a different part to the N55 because of the integrated balance shafts, and won't be an easy thing to check if the pump internal components are the same.

All this has me considering a basic aftermarket powertrain warranty, which is not something I had thought I'd ever need to do. I don't think turning up the boost necessarily adds to the stress of the oil pump, but it does stress other parts which are dependent on oil pressure for lubrication and, to an extent, cooling.
Appreciate 0