View Single Post
      12-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #65
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
No man, that's just not right. If it is OEM spec and/or has a part number that matches, BMW must honor the warranty. This was put in place specifically because OEMs were taking parts like a Mann filter, repackaging it, and doubling the price. This is still the same practice because people will pay more for knowing it's OEM, but the law requires that they provide alternatives to make it more fair to the consumer. It might result in a chargeback upstream at the corporate level, but that is a battle settled long after your claim should be processed and paid out.

And I respect what you're saying about tracking the car, but that doesn't change the fact that If the OP swapped his OEM intake back on, they would have found the problem. Just because they can easily cop out of the repair, they do it. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because it's the easy thing to do. That shouldn't be the case. Apparently that's only my opinion and most every one else thinks these loopholes and circumstantial situations are all all reasonable.
I think there's a mis-understanding.

Let's take this particular scenario. You buy a Mann (non-BMW but compatible) oil filter to be used in your BMW. You install that oil filter and the Mann oil filter's media breaks apart and gets sucked into the crank case. Your BMW engine is damaged because the Mann oil filter has failed.

Assume this is a case where it's clear that the non-BMW part was the root cause of the failure.

BMW is not responsible for that damage. It was not a BMW part that caused the failure. It was a Mann part that caused the engine failure. Therefore, you, as the consumer, would have to go to Mann to seek damages.

I think you're mis-understanding that case with one in which a BMW part fails and they deny your warranty because you used a Mann oil filter.

Is this clear now?
Appreciate 0