View Single Post
      05-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgy915 View Post
Bummer...Check this one out! Would check if its CPO though.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=171961579

Hypothetical situation below.
Regarding the negotiation. Whenever you see a price reduction from ticket, you know the car has been sitting in the lot for too long. General rule for dealerships is that each vehicle usually has a 30, 60, 90, 120 day time frame for them to sell (days dependent on dealer/owner). When you look at the car, I would try to ask how long the "beautiful" car has been sitting under the sun. Most likely they will lie to you, but if you get lucky they will be honest. Anywhere between 60 -120, you will have a great chance at reducing the price. This is because each car that sits there accrues interest and space costs everyday. Eventually, if the car is not getting sold, they are forced to auction, in which they would much rather just give it to you for a great deal (if you negotiate for it).

I would bring a friend and play good cop bad cop. You love the car, your friend hates it. Make sure you let them know your decision is highly dependent on your friend. I.e. If they car is $25k, I would tell them you're on a $20k budget. Sales person will ask his "manager" who will come back and say they best they can do is $24,500. Be honest and tell them that's too high, especially compared to your budget and a car that's not selling. They'll come back with $24,000. Leave and tell them you're just going to try a dealership thats willing to work for you. They will call you the next morning offering $23,500. Tell them you'll down payment $2-3k, which should get you a bit closer to $20k. If they don't they don't and be patient!

Just know dealerships always have A LOT of wiggle room and remind them you're doing them a favor if the car is not selling (lucky for us, a lot of people think GTs are ugly). Three upsells for each vehicle...1) sales person 2) dealership 3) manufacture. Try your best to cut out 1 and 2.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yeah I was pretty stupid, the car was listed for over a month and price was reduced 3x!! I thought I'd wait a bit longer for an even better price but someone snatched it up right after I emailed the sales manager sigh. Guess I will have to be patient. I'm even entertaining the idea of buying sight unseen as there are more options that way.
Appreciate 0