09-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
what would it take to get my car to FK2 levels of composure?

will stiffer springs do? Or would i need stiffer ARB's?

or will i have to spend some money and get a full suspension kit? would i also need to upgrade the sway bars too?

Also what do people recommend - not willing to spend high-end, what should i look at for low-medium end, that will give me that ultra stiff and responsive handling i'm after, but also reasonably priced? what brands?
FK2 is an awesome dual purpose offering...its a front wheel drive miata with power. Honda did its homework with this car even with the minor issues it has.

If you would like to keep the costs down and you do not plan on doing the work yourself. I would be looking at a set of decent coilovers and swap out your rubber bushings (ALL OF THEM!!)...So control and thrust arm bushings up front should be swapped out along with the rear differential and rear sub frame bushings...i promise your car will come alive, especially the rear. if you are hell bent on getting FK2 levels of handling, you can expect to change the springs that come with the coilovers you buy...not a single manufacturer has the correct spring rates with their coilover packages. since that is inevitable, focus on the dampers...look at KW or Ohlins as their dampers are very good and they have some solid offerings that are reasonably priced and can do dual duty. they are probably more accessible because of where you are...take advantage of that.
Bilstein is also ok, damping is on the stiff side.

Note if the car is a street machine, damping adjustability will be important to you so ask questions about the range of stiffness...race Vs. street

Sway bars will help but will not solve the "crispness" issues with respect to the F30's rolly polly, beach ball factory handling characteristics. I would do bars later when you figure out the wheel and tire size combo that works best for your car.

An LSD will also help but they are expensive for the f30 due to the "welded diff ring" amongst other things...such an anti-grass roots motorsports move!!!

Make no mistake, these f30 can hold their own on track...but they need work.

Last edited by brigade24; 09-12-2020 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: claritin clarity
Appreciate 2
gippy230.00