United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
FK2 is an awesome dual purpose offering...its a front wheel drive miata with power. Honda did its homework with this car even with the minor issues it has.

If you would like to keep the costs down and you do not plan on doing the work yourself. I would be looking at a set of decent coilovers and swap out your rubber bushings (ALL OF THEM!!)...So control and thrust arm bushings up front should be swapped out along with the rear differential and rear sub frame bushings...i promise your car will come alive, especially the rear. if you are hell bent on getting FK2 levels of handling, you can expect to change the springs that come with the coilovers you buy...not a single manufacturer has the correct spring rates with their coilover packages. since that is inevitable, focus on the dampers...look at KW or Ohlins as their dampers are very good and they have some solid offerings that are reasonably priced and can do dual duty. they are probably more accessible because of where you are...take advantage of that.
Bilstein is also ok, damping is on the stiff side.

Note if the car is a street machine, damping adjustability will be important to you so ask questions about the range of stiffness...race Vs. street

Sway bars will help but will not solve the "crispness" issues with respect to the F30's rolly polly, beach ball factory handling characteristics. I would do bars later when you figure out the wheel and tire size combo that works best for your car.

An LSD will also help but they are expensive for the f30 due to the "welded diff ring" amongst other things...such an anti-grass roots motorsports move!!!

Make no mistake, these f30 can hold their own on track...but they need work.
i'll be doing the work myself but i wanted to get a better idea of what to change, because to swap the sway bars is a far bigger job and not something i could do easily without a car lifter.....
but coilovers/springs seem fairly easy so i'm happy to give those a go.

an LSD is on the shopping list but not as high priority as suspension because that element is truely awful.

would bushings really make that much of a difference compared to new dampers/springs all round?
EDIT: i've just watched an excellent vid from turner motorsport explaining it. Does seem like a worthwhile inexpensive upgrade.
I'll mostly agree with what's been said. If you're looking to make the f30 feel sharp like a type R, than coilovers with camber plates, and replacing every bushing you can will make the biggest difference. Sway bars really aren't needed u til you are deep into your setup and have some substantial track time behind the wheel. So you can save your money there. Rear LSD, probably before sway bars, depending on your situation. But once you have a couple years time with the coilovers and bushings under your belt, on the track, you'll know whats the next best move for you.
Also, regarding the bushings, I'm a huge proponent of the front bushings.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1656299

But honestly, the rear bushings will make the biggest difference. There's 6 rubber bushings from the factory in the front. But the rear is more like 22 bushings, (correct me if I'm wrong) including the 4 rear subframe bushings (not including the rear differential bushings, which have little to no impact on sharpness of the car, maybe a little in the throttle). When cornering the rear end is all over the place with all that rubber. You're trying to go one way, the subframe is gonna another, and each tire is doing its own thing. Then you try to go another way and the rear is still doing something else. Eventually it might come around, but it may just spring back like a rubber band and bounce around. It's just a mess back there!
So since you're doing your own work, get a good coilover setup with well matched shocks, like the r&t or KW as mentioned, with camber plates (a must for camber adjustment and saving the outside edge of your tires). Then start replacing the bushings. I'd recommend starting with the tension arms and maybe front LCA and rear toe arms. Then use the money you haven't spent on sway bars and rear LSD, get some good pads and brake fluid, and get some seat time at some HPDE events.
A plan like this and you'll be passing most of the Type R's on the track while thinking "God I love my f30!" Lol
Appreciate 0