View Single Post
      04-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #27
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

So do you agree with him that we shouldn't be a "mooch" and comparison shop for the best number? It's seems that you are a very informed buyer and would go elsewhere to get the best price.

My point wasn't regarding whether most people were informed or not. My point was that it's not bad to shop around for the best deal, especially since a salespersons main goal is trying to get the most money from you. When he commented that this was mooching, that caught my attention. I don't think a salesman would feel bad for me if I signed at MSRP, so I will not feel bad for him if I haggle the price down to invoice and he makes $200 or whatever Mloyalty said, or leave to buy somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Your perception that most customers these days are like you and other forum participants is very, very far from reality. Even today 99 out of 100 customers know almost nothing before they set foot in the dealership.

Mloyalty's view is much closer to the reality of the business.

btw, invoice prices have been available to the public for 40+ years for those who cared enough to look. I've been using Edmunds since I was 15, back when it was a quarterly paperback. When I bought my first new car in 1982 I got it for invoice plus $300. I handed my salesman a typed order sheet that I modeled on the format of a window sticker with every option listed including both MSRP and invoice prices.
Appreciate 0