View Single Post
      10-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #34
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
More Center Console Storage

Chhappy7 started a thread about a replacement center console panel he found that added a pocket and much needed storage. I'm always wishing I didn't have to take up one of the cupholders with my keys and second phone so I happily ordered one of these to try for myself.

Despite coming from China, the panel came in a bit more than a week's time. It's well made, and matches the factory trim decently well. One thing I noticed about it is that the factory trim piece has mounts/clips which secure the cup holder LED as well as the wire going to it. This piece only has the mount/clip to hold the LED module. I put some felt tape on the inside of the new trim piece to prevent the wire connector housing from potentially rattling.

One thing that was a bit of a concern with this pocket is how much it protrudes over the cup holders. While I'm not a big gulp guy, I occasionally have a sport bottle with me. With the pocket my sport bottles don't go down into the cup holder all the way, but do go down far enough and wedge against the pocket to stay secure. Normal disposable water bottles fit without issue.

Another plus the pocket gives me is another lip/ridge to mount a phone mount to (for my second phone). Turns out that those phone mounts that clamp onto the air vents also clamp onto the lip of the pocket quite well. I had to find some ball mount extensions to raise and angle the part of the mount your phone goes into though. All in all the mounting solution still only cost me about $20 though.
Appreciate 0