09-27-2018, 05:30 PM   #96
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
So I had my car in today for the end of warranty check and EGR Recall.

I have a 335d built May 2015

It was flagged immediately for the recall and it was not until the service manager put the reg in did he tell me it would just need the EGR cooler replaced.

I talked with him again this morning. They have done a lot of these now and seem to know what they are on about.
(Note - this is just for 335d. The timings could be different for other models as it depends on the phasing of the parts in production)

He confirmed -

• LCI models are not affected
  • Pre-LCI models are affected
  • Pre-LCI models will need the EGR cooler replaced and the older ones the EGR valve replaced (sorry dont know date)
  • Both parts are a different design. The new Cooler design will prevent the safety issue. The EGR design will prevent premature failure of the valve, which can also contribute to the safety issue.

He showed me the detailed instructions for the fitters. Lots of pics. They do an inspection to ensure that the database is correct. It could be that the car has had one or both of these parts fitted out of the BMW network. OR that the database is wrong and the car is actually fitted with an old part.

The work on my car involved the inspection. They fitted a new cooler. But also an inspection of the EGR valve and clean up of soot deposits. They need to take pictures for BMW and he let it slip that the instructions keep changing!!! I saw some sample pics in the instructions and the EGR in that was heavily clogged with soot. They said mine was very clean.

So mine is done and no software update needed. I still have all my coding and re-map.

It was raining when I picked the car up, but will check under the bonnet tomorrow to verify (not that I dont trust them.....)
I see all of the comments are about 330 engines yet I had my 420d GC in for repairs to the tail gate and the dealer phoned me to say there was a recall and my chassis number was on the list, they are contacting BMW to see what actions to take. This was specifically regarding the EGR.

Two things strike me here they haven't completed the tailgate repair yet they say the shockers have been renewed.
They are using this as an excuse to delay repairs that they haven't completed giving them more time to complete the repair.

So to anyone's knowledge does the EGR recall include the four pot 2 litre engines. If not I can contact the dealer and see what's going on.
Appreciate 0