FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car 65 View Post
Hi FaRKle,

Will I run the risk of topping out the rear shock absorber?
I already have 1/4" added between the upper car body/frame and adjustable collar.
When the car was in the air when you were installing the rear shocks was the length of the damper limiting the amount of droop, or was it the tension in the rear control arm bushings? If the wheel carrier didn't drop any further when you unbolted the damper, then the bushings are the limiter, so the damper never reaches full extension on the car.

If the damper length is what limits droop, then it's possible to reach max extension, but then you'll realize that the wheel would have to extend down the same amount as when the car is in the air for the parts to make contact (and they sometimes have internal bumpers to allow that and prevent damage). For "normal" driving, I'd say that's pretty rare.

From what I've seen B6 dampers and OE dampers aren't the droop limiters in the rear for our cars, but the B8/B14/B16 come really close and can be the droop limiter (by ~1/3").

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0