Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc0909 View Post
A woman also sued McDonalds for burning herself while trying to fix her own coffee while driving, and won. Anyone can sue a company and convince 12 dipsh*ts that couldn't figure out a way to get out of jury duty to make the big bad corporation pay up.

You will need special tools to do the job. With parts, I've seen estimates in the $1500-2000 range from a dealer. May save a few bucks at an indy, but I'd stick with one that specializes in BMW and/or Euros
Just to clarify this mcdonalds coffee case that is widely used as an example, the lawsuit was because the coffee was heated beyond what is acceptable in the industry, which indeed did cause much more severe burns, and originally the lawsuit was only for like 20k to cover medical expenses, and mcd tried to fight it and offered 500$ , only to end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Yeah I know the details of the suit. I understand why she was awarded a settlement, my point is that she put a hot cup of coffee between her legs to pull the top off. Regardless of the temp of the coffee, she injured herself and sued the restaurant. On avg McDonalds coffee was 10° hotter than other restaurants like Dunkin' but even a coffee from there would have left burns.

The point is, anyone can sue but unlike this woman that actually suffered life long scaring (suffered a loss) the complainants in this class action used internet rhetoric as their basis and went to a extremely liberal court in NJ to file their case. The lead complainant cried that he wouldn't have purchased the vehicle had he known of the issue. Well sell the car then 🙄

The cases of actual failure is extremely low. There is no residual recourse of the issue. Case in point, I looked on KBB for the value of my 2013 328i and compared it to the same yr 330i with all the same options and mileage. The 328i came in at an avg of $11,600, the 330i was at $13,900. Being the starting price of these two vehicle options that is well within what the comparative resale should be. So if the N20/N26 timing issue caused a negative residual effect then the difference in resale value would be much more exaggerated.