Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
It's super easy. 30 mins-60 mins

1) Make sure the car is cool.
2) Grab a T50 and torque wrench, turn tensioner CLOCKWISE to release tension.
3) Walk the belt off the pulley near the tensioner or alternator, whatever is easiest.
4) Unbolt tensioner with an E-torx (its like an E10 or E12). You can also use an equivalent size MM socket. Just find one that fits snug.
5) Reinstall new tensioner. You CAN reuse the same bolt. It is NOT a one time bolt like on the E90. I confirmed this before hand and can say that its NOT an aluminum bolt when i did the install.
6) line up the new belt. I found that you need to get it around the big pulley on bottom left first. The last part I wrapped it around was the alternator.
7) Grab the T50 and torque wrench and turn tensioner CLOCKWISE and pull the pin out of the new tensioner with channel locks. I did this step by myself, very easy. The tensioner is now loaded and you're done.

NOTES:
I did not remove the fan shroud. This would give you more room, but is not required.
I loosened the oil feed line 10MM bolt to be able to move them a bit if needed.
***When you reinstall new tensioner, its sits very different. The pulley is off to the left. This is normal. Once you remove the pin in step 7, it will sit up and down like normal.

You are the man!