09-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #190
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I only find something somewhat to what you are describing in one specific situation. When my car when i am coasting down sydney opera house carpark the transmission is a little too happy to pick 1st gear. The gradient is what i would consider moderate.

If i manually select 2nd gear via the paddle there is not as much engine breaking. If i want to pick up a little more speed the auto wont select 3rd. Then i experience excessive engine braking.

It wont let me select 3rd at that speed so i have to accelerate a bit faster to trigger the shift to 3rd gear. Then it will happily coast.

I dont see this as a problem. Just more of a limitation of the auto in this specific scenario.

Othwrwise i dont feel excessive engine brakint in majoriry of driving

While I can relate to the fact that shifting into 2nd does seem to make the engine braking jolts less pronounced, fact is, it's still there. I have a 6spd so for me it's a lot easier to control what gear I'm in and I do notice that lower speeds in higher gears do seem to help ease the rough dragging feel of engine braking. I guess I kinda answered my own question but I was trying to see if anyone had any alternative answers/suggestions.
Appreciate 0