09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #198
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Interesting, so you're saying the issue is it's just that the geared torque from the engine is significantly higher? Makes sense, but seems like this wouldn't be different from any other car. I would assume that the strange sensation could be the regen alternator braking, which might have some strange programmed behavior (i.e. turn on when going < 30 MPH with throttle = 0%). If you're going 33 MPH and coasting to the stop, the switch on as you get to 30 MPH might be slightly offsetting if you don't expect it.
The concept isn't different from any other car, but multiple factors that differ from car to car will affect how pronounced it is, like basically every component in the transmission. You ever see somebody new to driving a manual car and they end up jolting the car like a bucking bull in 1st gear? You have to picture the mass of the car in relation to the gear it's in. If you drive first gear up to 5K RPM, and let off, all of that kinetic energy on a 3500 pound car is now bound by that same small gear which is only meant to wind up fast and get moving, not sustain high speeds. We are supposed to shift up a gear because the engine can not rev high enough to spin that gear any faster. When you don't shift, your in effect sayining to the gear, ok nevermind, you keep all this power. With that gear's potential maxxed out, if you go totally off the gas the car will slow down rapidly. And this is all a very short timeframe because like i mentioned earlier, 1st gear is really only meant to get a car moving, never for coasting. We don't see this in higher gears because the rate of acceleration is slower and the tall gears can handle the momentum of the car better.

I don't think an alternator kicking on would be involved in this equation. Yes that will sap power but this is a drivetrain concern, theoretically at 0 throttle.
Appreciate 0