Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M CW View Post
Hey,

I've got a 2015 335i X-drive with a 6mt. You definitely want to check if the transmission grinds or completely won't complete the 1 - 2 shift. If the previous owner constantly drag raced and abused the transmission, it could definitely have extra wear that could result in problems developing later.

The other thing to consider is if you intend to mod the car. From my research it seemed that the 6mt is pretty much at its torque rating with the 335i. That's probably why with the M Performance Package II, the ECU re-map limits torque in 1st and 2nd to 320 lb-ft, but allows 335 lb-ft in the other 4 gears. Any mods adding boost will pretty much exceed the transmission's torque rating. Even though the transmission won't fail immediately, it would likely only be a matter of time before symptoms of a failing transmission started becoming apparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M CW View Post
Hey,

I've got a 2015 335i X-drive with a 6mt. You definitely want to check if the transmission grinds or completely won't complete the 1 - 2 shift. If the previous owner constantly drag raced and abused the transmission, it could definitely have extra wear that could result in problems developing later.

The other thing to consider is if you intend to mod the car. From my research it seemed that the 6mt is pretty much at its torque rating with the 335i. That's probably why with the M Performance Package II, the ECU re-map limits torque in 1st and 2nd to 320 lb-ft, but allows 335 lb-ft in the other 4 gears. Any mods adding boost will pretty much exceed the transmission's torque rating. Even though the transmission won't fail immediately, it would likely only be a matter of time before symptoms of a failing transmission started becoming apparent.
Hey man really appreciate the response. I guess I'm a little worried as to how I can notice as this will be my first manual car, but I think it should be obvious. As for tuning wise have you dabbled in getting a tune at all? I'm kind of turned off by tunes after I had some issues with bm3. I've heard mhd is another great option for tunes but am more leaning to either the mppk or just running stock as I'm sure it'll still feel faster than the n26.
Appreciate 0