09-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #15
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30hobbes View Post
Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking what warranty company did you go with? And do you use the redline transmission fluid? Also I may sound like a real newbie here but what is a double clutch upshift? The car should be arriving from another carmax store in about a week and I am really excited, really hoping there are no shifting issues.
Of course! I have an aftermarket warranty purchased from a BMW dealer, but the actual warranty is through Zurich. I'm not sure what kind of fluid is in the car now, but BMW did the trans replacement, so I assume they used OEM BMW fluid. And, we were all newbies at some point, so no worries A double clutch is traditionally used on old, non-synchronized gearboxes, but it can also be used on newer gear boxes with bad synchros, or when you just want to go easy on your synchros. It's done like this. Let's say you're rolling in 1st gear. To double clutch you would: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out. Now you're in neutral. Then clutch in, shift to second, clutch out. Now you're in second, and you double clutched to get there. Sounds like a lot of steps but in practice it only takes a fraction of a second longer than a normal shift. And it's important to, when going from neutral to second, make sure that the revs are matched. You don't want to let the revs drop to idle in neutral, force it into 2nd, then dump the clutch and jump the revs. It can also be, and is more commonly, done on downshifts as well. I only do this when the car is cold, just to be extra gentle with the trans.