johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCardiff View Post
I think I am going to swap out my run flats when they need changing.

Can somebody help me with what space saver wheel and tyre I would need to carry.

My car is 2015 Series 3 GT MSport. The existing tyres are 255/45 R18 W on the rear and 225/50 R18 W on the front.

By the way this car is beautiful to drive.
If you have grey brakes you can get away with 17" space saver. But if you have blue brakes you'll need an 18".

I researched space savers and decided that it had little value. I have a Slime 8-Minute compressor kit if I have a flat locally. If I have a flat on a trip then the spacer only gives me 50 miles. Then my trip is disrupted trying to find a tire center to fix or replace the flat.

A space saver takes up the exact same floor space in the trunk as a full size spare. You save about 3"-4" on top of the space saver, that's all.

Instead I bought a matching used BMW 400M wheel for about $100 and installed an old runflat as a spare. I bought a zippered tire bag online which makes it easy to move or place on the back seat if we want to keep our luggage hidden in the trunk on a trip.

The compartment under the trunk floor easily fits a small jack, breaker bar and the Slime compressor. See photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 2