///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
The 3.0T doesn't have the carbon issues your DI 4.2 would have had. It seems that Audi has fixed the issue.

I have a 2010 S4.
How many miles on your car, and perhaps more importantly, have you opened up you IM lately?

Audi has not fixed the issue, the CB is less grave on the 3.0T than as exhibited on the 4.2 FSI, but it is still present nevertheless. There are several owners that have posted pictures once their intake manifolds have been open. No where near as ugly as on the V8 FSI, but certainly plenty of carbon buildup traces on the back of the valves, especially at the stem. Again, far better, but no real cure, anyone that believes that is drinking the VAG Koolaid.

Spoke to my Audi service manager recently (who has given me several free CB scrubs despite battling with Audi corporate and is always a genuine guy), and the CB issue far surpasses that of it solely plaguing the R8/RS4's 4.2 FSI. Just ask his techs are making a good living off laborious cleans on the 5.0 V10 engines (S6 most notably as the R8's don't have enough miles on them yet), 3.2 FSIs, 4.2FSIs, even the lowly 2.Slow FSIs. So yeah, no Audi FSI engine in the near future for me personally considering how AofA (and AG) had been denying it for years while our cars were under warranty, and now that they are not dealers are openly running CB cleaning 'specials'. It is public knowledge, in the official VAG patent which is open to anyone to read, the Audi engineers themselves professed it will be prone to carbon buildup.

Anyhow, not to digress from the current topic.

PS: Looks like the next generation VAG engines will include port injection along with being FSI (similar to what Lexus/Toyota have done), the main reason being keeping CB at bay...

PS2/Edit: Here is a link to a B8 S4 owner's internals once opened up, definitely Carbon Buildup:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4b8/msgs/22027.phtml
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods

Last edited by ///M1; 04-16-2012 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0