View Single Post
      04-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by frchdragon View Post
Yeah... what about valley pan gasket and oil separator?
Maintenance is really bit on the V8, but once everything is sorted our they run great. If you are up to the task and have the special tools to work on the timing chain, and have time, then why not, do it.
A friend of mine bought an E39 540i because he loved the power, and he didn't mind paying to get all the work done.

Car looks great, it is a big car... did you drive one yet? It is a big comfy cruiser, not a car you can throw around corners like the E36.
I loved throwing my E60 around the corners, until I drove my F30 and realized how slow my E60 was around the same corners...
Ah, that's a good call. Was so focused on the timing chain guides I didn't even think of those other 2. Never had a chance to drive one before, but now I'm thinking I might just love the looks more than the way it drives for the maintenance to be worth it.

P.S. Saw pics of your 6er in another thread, that thing is gorgeous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I had a silver shorty for a while. The timing chain guides finally failed so I sold it to a friend. It always needed something but it was such a good driving car. I kinda regret selling it but I just didnt have the time to mess with it then.
Yea, I can make time for our M cars, but I wonder how much patience I'll have for something like the E38, which will nickel and dime you at a much faster pace than our E36's.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0