05-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #55
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I am a little confused as to why some people think that this comparison isn't relevant because a new C class will be coming out in a few years. Unless it has reached the showroom floor, it is irrelevant to me to even think about the new model. The current C250 is what Mercedes offers right now, so I find it completely relevant to compare it with the 328i. Of course there is a major price difference between the two and that should be mentioned in any comparison of the two cars. However, if you are looking for a luxury 4 cylinder, an average consumer probably will compare the two.
You're completely right, both cars are currently what's being offered and if people are looking for a luxury turbo 4 they will cross shop the 328i, C250, and A4. However, there's currently a 5 year gap between the C-class and the 3-series whereas when the new C comes out there will only be a 1-2 year gap.

Mercedes in general has trouble comparing to BMW performance wise even when new, the current gen has no chance. Compounded by the fact that the new 1.8L in the Mercedes actually makes less power than the 3L it's replacing. Whereas like Liljestig said the BMW's 2L is suppose to replace a 3L engine for well into the future, not to mention the turbo 4 is underrated from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljestig View Post
The new N20 four-cylinder engine of the BMW plays in a completely different league than any of its four-cylinder competitors, including MB. It is meant to replace a three-liter six-cylinder engine in terms of performance and smoothness (using balance axles), while at the same time saving 15-20 percent fuel in compare to its six-cylinder predecessor.
Appreciate 0