F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > BMW i5 M60. Its a 'dinosaur'....
GetBMWParts

05-31-2024, 12:49 PM   #45
crAbb
Banned
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
And as I said, but you chose to ignore, you could say the same about diesel 25 years ago
I don't recall diesels getting huge tax breaks. Indeed, wasn't the BIK + 3% for diesel?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 12:50 PM   #46
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

May's SMMT numbers will be out next week, it'll be interesting if the share is still at 16% way behind the 22% marker, as the months drift by that lag to target means the target starts to rise exponentially as a percentage share to enable landing at 22% for the full year.

The only sure fire way of hitting it is to slow the selling of ICE to balance the numbers.
      05-31-2024, 01:41 PM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
I don't recall diesels getting huge tax breaks. Indeed, wasn't the BIK + 3% for diesel?
Initially not, and tax breaks on the fuel at one time... and of course when BIK moved to emissions based, that pushed diesels which had lower emissions numbers by being more economical...

so a 330d was much lower BIK than a 330i, a 320d much lower than a 320i

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715
Appreciate 1
Pond2179.00
      05-31-2024, 01:44 PM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
That makes perfect sense to me TBH.

The problem is, though, that the world is trying to use EVs as a complete replacement for petrol and diesel, not an extra alternative to oil-fuelled.

Until the EV can do EVERYTHING as easily and conveniently as petrol/diesel vehicles can, I can't see them being popular enough to accomplish what is required of them. If they become a third alternative, they have failed.
agreed - we have always had choices before to get the one that suited us best, to try and cram everyone into one is silly - but then I see hybrids being around for years, with maybe rules on how many miles they have to be able to do on electric and an inability for them to fire the engine below 30 mph or something unless battery dead...
Appreciate 1
Pond2179.00
      06-02-2024, 01:32 AM   #49
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
That makes perfect sense to me TBH.

The problem is, though, that the world is trying to use EVs as a complete replacement for petrol and diesel, not an extra alternative to oil-fuelled.

Until the EV can do EVERYTHING as easily and conveniently as petrol/diesel vehicles can, I can't see them being popular enough to accomplish what is required of them. If they become a third alternative, they have failed.
Agree to a large extent. Worth remembering that for a significant portion of drivers they do some things more easily and more conveniently. And some things better.

I’d struggle to give up home fill-ups or the easy going smoothness when hacking across town for a couple of hours in a day

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 06:25 AM   #50
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The difference in range etc when designing as a PURE EV ground up is incredible.

I love the 5er historically and have owned two, this A6 is leaving it behind. NK models from BMW need to up the game considerably!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-hot-543bhp-s6

The i5 IS a Dinosaur somewhat subject to it Jack Of all Trades approach. Will be interesting to see how sales pan out with EV slowing up in sales, did BMW get it right?
      07-31-2024, 07:24 AM   #51
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
The difference in range etc when designing as a PURE EV ground up is incredible.

I love the 5er historically and have owned two, this A6 is leaving it behind. NK models from BMW need to up the game considerably!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...-hot-543bhp-s6

The i5 IS a Dinosaur somewhat subject to it Jack Of all Trades approach. Will be interesting to see how sales pan out with EV slowing up in sales, did BMW get it right?
Audi must have two platforms for each range of cars, with the EV models being given even number names and the ICE the odd numbers. Maybe that is possible when you have multiple brand to share the platform across and may be what leaves BMW at a disadvantage... although interestingly they have done with the new Mini where the ICE is an updated version of the old platform but the EV is a new platform entirely.

That A6 looks great (and I do like a nice Audi) but the price of the range toppers will be 6 figures with options I imagine.... and frankly it wont be that nice to me!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17653.50