F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My BMW 328i caught on fire, leaving 25 miles after the dealership!
Extreme Powerhouse

05-27-2024, 08:11 AM   #45
LA430
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
I have AAA i understand i have 30 days as a Grace period..
In usa 99% of dealers make you financially responsible by providing insurance to accept responsibility of said purchase before driving off!!
That said insurance is the law and protects my investmen if ur foolish enough to use a Grace period and think you’ll be covered in that period for a major issue is just crazy to me!!
Strongly agree.
The last three cars I bought the dealership wanted proof of insurance before driving off.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:11 PM   #46
ctdriver320i
ERROR 404
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Exactly. Which is why I asked. The OP should've had comprehensive coverage with his insurance and covered when he left the dealership.
I understand lol. It was a great question! And the answer should be yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 02:06 PM   #47
ekko5665
Rep
Drives: dream bmw

Quote:
How were you able to drive away without full coverage insurance?
I have no clue. I had my own insurance on the car for collision or anything like that but no insurance for anything that can be faulty with car
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 03:08 PM   #48
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
How were you able to drive away without full coverage insurance?
Insurance is not a requirement to purchase a vehicle, it's required to register it, and then only state minimums/ liability is needed. No state requires full coverage insurance for regular daily driven private vehicles. The dealer will ask for proof of insurance to include with the registration documents. Full coverage is however often required by lien holder if vehicle is financed, and even that varies depending on whether it's a bank/credit union or financed through dealer. Also note that not all dealers ask for proof of insurance, once they get their money and your signature on the paperwork they are done, especially if they are not handling the registration. I purchased a truck once from a dealer in Ohio, paid cash, got the title and drove out, not even temp plates on it. Then I drove to the local DMV, paid 25 bucks for a ten day transit tag and drove it to NC. No one seemed to care about insurance.

Last edited by im_an_alien; 05-27-2024 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 10:03 PM   #49
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekko5665 View Post
I have no clue. I had my own insurance on the car for collision or anything like that but no insurance for anything that can be faulty with car
Have you contacted your insurance and they denied to help you?
I think a good insurance would help you and act against your dealer, if the issue is lack of oil as told by the technician.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 10:32 PM   #50
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Insurance is not a requirement to purchase a vehicle, it's required to register it, and then only state minimums/ liability is needed. No state requires full coverage insurance for regular daily driven private vehicles. The dealer will ask for proof of insurance to include with the registration documents. Full coverage is however often required by lien holder if vehicle is financed..."]
Well you basically contradicted yourself.... "No state requires full coverage insurance for regular daily driven private vehicles" This Is FALSE...and heres why from your statement.."Full coverage is however required by lien holder if vehicle is financed"

05-28-2024, 10:59 PM   #51
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Well you basically contradicted yourself.... "No state requires full coverage insurance for regular daily driven private vehicles" This Is FALSE...and heres why from your statement.."Full coverage is however required by lien holder if vehicle is financed"

The lien holder is not the state (unless you don't know what lien holder means). The financial institution financing the vehicle requires full coverage. The state requires state minimum insurance, and there isn't a state that requires full coverage. Having full coverage is always an option, unless you want it or required by your bank.
Curious to know how this is gonna turn out for OP, good luck..

Last edited by im_an_alien; 05-28-2024 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8619.50
      05-28-2024, 11:26 PM   #52
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
The lien holder is not the state (unless you don't know what lien holder means). The financial institution financing the vehicle requires full coverage. The state requires state minimum insurance, and there isn't a state that requires full coverage. Having full coverage is always an option, unless you want it or required by your bank.
Curious to know how this is gonna turn out for OP, good luck..
Yes required by the BAnk or leinholder.. If you want to take it to TERMINOLOGY then YES its not required by the STATE but REQUIRED by the BANK in that STATE......

Either way its a REQUIREMENT When purchasing from a dealer. However you wanna READ it or look at it....

Not sure how they do it on mars considering your an Alien but Here on EARTH its the same dam thing......
      05-29-2024, 02:34 AM   #53
ekko5665
Rep
Drives: dream bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Have you contacted your insurance and they denied to help you?
I think a good insurance would help you and act against your dealer, if the issue is lack of oil as told by the technician.
yes. insurance denied it. it was my father's insurance, I don't know all the details but I think fire is the main reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 07:32 AM   #54
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Quote:
Yes required by the BAnk or leinholder.. If you want to take it to TERMINOLOGY then YES its not required by the STATE but REQUIRED by the BANK in that STATE......

Either way its a REQUIREMENT When purchasing from a dealer. However you wanna READ it or look at it....

Not sure how they do it on mars considering your an Alien but Here on EARTH its the same dam thing......
Not true at all. If i walk into a dealership and pay cash, its my decision if i want full coverage or not. At that point, there is NO REQUIREMENT to have full coverage... Maybe you should figure out the difference between the dealership (not a factor in a private sale/purchase), the leinholder/bank (not a factor in a cash deal), and the state (will ALWAYS be a factor when registering a vehicle for public road use)... 3 very different things and not all 3 come into play in every scenario.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #55
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem.plus_440gc View Post
Not true at all. If i walk into a dealership and pay cash, its my decision if i want full coverage or not. At that point, there is NO REQUIREMENT to have full coverage... Maybe you should figure out the difference between the dealership (not a factor in a private sale/purchase), the leinholder/bank (not a factor in a cash deal), and the state (will ALWAYS be a factor when registering a vehicle for public road use)... 3 very different things and not all 3 come into play in every scenario.
If the vehicle is financed!! Did anyone ever mention this was a cash sale?? Maybe you s could read the whole thread?

Got some winners here.. u wanna pay 14k cash and not buy insurance that your stupidity!! each his own huh
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 07:49 AM   #56
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Quote:
If the vehicle is financed!! Did anyone ever mention this was a cash sale?? Maybe you s could read the whole thread?

Got some winners here.. u wanna pay 14k cash and not buy insurance that your stupidity!! each his own huh
If you're going down that road, maybe YOU should re-read the OP. It says "I BOUGHT" not "I FINANCED".... and i'm talking about the actual laws in general. Not this specific case. So maybe when you say "COMPREHENSIVE IS A REQUIREMENT WHEN BUYING FROM A DEALERSHIP" you should clarify that you meant "FINANCED" and not generalize that any car rolling off a dealership lot requires comprehensive insurance, cause thats just FALSE.

Now, to stop feeding the troll, I hope the OP is able to come to some agreements with the dealership over this situation, cause this sucks. Best of luck and let us know the final outcome.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 10:06 AM   #57
ADHD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
21 M540i  [0.00]
07 e90 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem.plus_440gc View Post
If you're going down that road, maybe YOU should re-read the OP. It says "I BOUGHT" not "I FINANCED".... and i'm talking about the actual laws in general. Not this specific case. So maybe when you say "COMPREHENSIVE IS A REQUIREMENT WHEN BUYING FROM A DEALERSHIP" you should clarify that you meant "FINANCED" and not generalize that any car rolling off a dealership lot requires comprehensive insurance, cause thats just FALSE.

Now, to stop feeding the troll, I hope the OP is able to come to some agreements with the dealership over this situation, cause this sucks. Best of luck and let us know the final outcome.
Ur the troll that came and piked apart Terminology!! What did you sign up last week?? Go ahead and think that .. Stupidity is priceless!!

And Please quote those exact sayings cause i never said “COMPREHENSIVE IS A REQUIREMENT WHEN BUYING FROM A DEALERSHIP"

I said FULL COVERAGE
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2024, 09:44 PM   #58
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2024, 01:19 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekko5665 View Post
yes. insurance denied it. it was my father's insurance, I don't know all the details but I think fire is the main reason.
If you had comprehensive coverage when you drove off the lot then insurance typically would cover it. Confirm and get a lawyer involved who's familiar with insurance law in your state. The initial consultation is typically free.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2