F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > theft recovery
Studio RSR

04-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #1
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

theft recovery

Hi everyone long story short my father had his 2013 335i stolen less then a week after moving down to FL. He was taking it quite hard since this was his baby and still had under 40k miles on it. It took about 3 weeks for the car to be recovered and thankfully appears to have been relatively undamaged. Now that the local police department have released the car. He has it at his area BMW dealer having it gone through completely the interior pulled out and completely detailed since drug residue and needles where found inside. He was hoping that they would be able to scan the computer systems and at least get some info on how hard the car was beat on. The dealer told him that that wasn't possible that only the M series cars stored this kind of data. I don't have any experience with this series of car does anyone know if any data can be pulled off the OBD port like highest rpm/top speed. He is having all the fluids drained and samples sent for testing. Of course the question becomes how much can he get the insurance to repair/replaced
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Anything that guy did in that short time probably burnt more rubber then anything unless it's a manual or something. You said the car was relatively undamaged so the only thing the insurance company would pay for is damage i'm assuming.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:39 PM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
How many miles were put on it and how many days was it missing?

How does one steal a modern BMW in America, were keys left inside?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

If there is no physical damage to the car. Insurance is not going to pay for something that isn’t damaged.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Delete

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 04-18-2020 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
How many miles were put on it and how many days was it missing?

How does one steal a modern BMW in America, were keys left inside?
Hi tech thief. Got one of those box....that copy transmitter(keyfob). Question is why a BMW F3x.... what a waste of talent
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

As I said just trying to find out any hidden damage hoped that the OBD would have stored some of that info. So again the main question was do these cars store any of that info or is the BMW dealer correct that its only the M series that do. To answer some of the other questions. I know that insurance is only going to pay for damage that occurred from the theft that is why its in the dealership being gone over. The car is a 6 speed manual, so there is always concern of clutch damage/high rpm spikes ect. As I said above there is some damage. It is mostly cosmetic damage (paint damage from front bumper hitting the curb) center console latch broken, rear tires show excessive wear from burn outs but no major accident damage. The car was in a locked garage with the keys in the garage they broke into the garage to steel a bunch of tools found the keys and stole the car also.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #8
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Not being rude, but it is in the end just a car, a machine. They loose value dramatically after couple years, independent how well it is being treated. With all respect, I guess you are already doing the best, a complete detail to clean all the stains of this difficult time. If even after that your father has a bad feeling, maybe consider selling and getting another one.
My wife has a 2014 320. It is a nice car, with 43,000 miles and babied. Couple years ago it was crashed in the parking lot of a store... It took a month in the body shop, for sometime I thought it would never be the same... However, it was well fixed, the car is perfect, aligned, tire wear is even and we keep that spotless... it is a machine and we move on.
These cars are testing to endure a lot more than a normal driver does. I can say cars are developed and tested to reach limits that only 2% of people does. Unless these thieves took the car to a "Track Day" experience, this vehicle will probably be in a wonderful shape after being detailed and back to your dad's garage... If your dad is so fond of the car, think this is a second chance... it was lost but now is recuperated, saved.
Yes it is just a machine but to a former race car driver, driving instructor and one of the most particular people when it comes to his equipment and cars he will have this car put back to pre theft condition and drive it for the joy of driving it, just trying to find any addition information that can be found to aid in that endeavor
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Delete

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 04-18-2020 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

lose, not loose.
Quote:
Not being rude, but it is in the end just a car, a machine. They loose value dramatically after couple years, independent how well it is being treated. With all respect, I guess you are already doing the best, a complete detail to clean all the stains of this difficult time. If even after that your father has a bad feeling, maybe consider selling and getting another one.
My wife has a 2014 320. It is a nice car, with 43,000 miles and babied. Couple years ago it was crashed in the parking lot of a store... It took a month in the body shop, for sometime I thought it would never be the same... However, it was well fixed, the car is perfect, aligned, tire wear is even and we keep that spotless... it is a machine and we move on.
These cars are testing to endure a lot more than a normal driver does. I can say cars are developed and tested to reach limits that only 2% of people does. Unless these thieves took the car to a "Track Day" experience, this vehicle will probably be in a wonderful shape after being detailed and back to your dad's garage... If your dad is so fond of the car, think this is a second chance... it was lost but now is recuperated, saved.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmtnbkr View Post
The car was in a locked garage with the keys in the garage they broke into the garage to steel a bunch of tools found the keys and stole the car also.
Best of luck with the car....above is the the lesson to be learned from this event - don't leave the car's keys in the garage, locked or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #12
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Best of luck with the car....above is the the lesson to be learned from this event - don't leave the car's keys in the garage, locked or otherwise.
Yeah my eyes got when I read that.

I keep my cars in the garage, the keys in the house, AND the door to the garage is kept locked with a deadbolt. The deadbolt receiver has 4” screws into the frame.

Plus the garage and house are alarmed. Extreme? Not after reading this thread.

Thieves steal. The only thing you can do is to make them go on to the next, easier house.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma810.50
      04-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Yeah my eyes got when I read that.

I keep my cars in the garage, the keys in the house, AND the door to the garage is kept locked with a deadbolt. The deadbolt receiver has 4” screws into the frame.

Plus the garage and house are alarmed. Extreme? Not after reading this thread.

Thieves steal. The only thing you can do is to make them go on to the next, easier house.
+1

I have the same setup... but include HD surveillance camera all around my house. The video already help my neighbors when his car got vandalized by his ex girlfriend
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

With a 2013, you should be able to read all the different diagnostic & error codes from the car. They might give indications if anything was mistreated/harmed.
      04-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #15
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Hi tech thief. Got one of those box....that copy transmitter(keyfob). Question is why a BMW F3x.... what a waste of talent
This is why I tend to use comfort access to lock/unlock instead of pressing the buttons on the fob...OTOH if they want it they will prolly get it, but I won't make it easy..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Delete

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 04-18-2020 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Ohhh we have a smart ASS, a grammatical corrector in our group. Amazing what quarantine does to people. Deviantspeed... go take care of your business, since forum rules prevent me to tell where you really should go.
The fact that the spelling correction bothers you so much says more about you than the corrector.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #18
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
The fact that the spelling correction bothers you so much says more about you than the corrector.
So... Elvisfan, tell me what my comment "say more about me"? Please, speak out.
Or, you may take a time and go look the posts from "the corrector", and then tell me who is nosy and inconvenient?
The idea of the thread is different then going after doing corrections on others grammar. His comment builds nothing to address the issue brought by the thread initiator.
I really treat everyone with respect here, and in my view it is rude what he did. Nobody here knows me or my background, as I don't know others and don't go after making jokes of others.

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 04-18-2020 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #19
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

children please stop! none of this is relevant to the question at hand. I don't give a rats a$$ about a spelling error, typo, or how stupid where he had the keys. It happened the car is back. So if you don't have something constructive to add don't. Lets get back on topic the question again is What information if any is stored on the cars computers that can be accessed via the OBD port that might show how the car was driven that could lead to unseen damage to the engine/driveline?
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi343.50
      04-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
With a 2013, you should be able to read all the different diagnostic & error codes from the car. They might give indications if anything was mistreated/harmed.
That was my thought also but as stated the BMW dealer told him only the M series stored the data of rpm. I know that it will store error codes. It sure would be easier if I wasn't 20hrs away by car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #21
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmtnbkr View Post
children please stop! none of this is relevant to the question at hand. I don't give a rats a$$ about a spelling error, typo, or how stupid where he had the keys. It happened the car is back. So if you don't have something constructive to add don't. Lets get back on topic the question again is What information if any is stored on the cars computers that can be accessed via the OBD port that might show how the car was driven that could lead to unseen damage to the engine/driveline?
Absolutely... this was my idea. Hopefully you will find your answers with good and friendly members. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      04-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
This is why I tend to use comfort access to lock/unlock instead of pressing the buttons on the fob...OTOH if they want it they will prolly get it, but I won't make it easy..
That's not going to help... especially if you have comfort access... the remote is already active, you don't need to press it.. hence why you can open your door when you get near your car and touch the handle. It more better if you don't have comfort access... but I heard they still can read the keyfob just hanging out your bedroom window
Appreciate 0