F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used 'supercar' for £100k
Extreme Powerhouse

05-16-2024, 02:05 PM   #1
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Used 'supercar' for £100k

So I know these type of threads are popular and I have been thinking....

So many people I know, for one reason or another (mainly health or losing loved ones), have lately been doing the 'sod it, do what you want, when you want' thing. I don't do holidays, I don't do eating out in fancy restaurants, in fact I do anything much! BUT I do cars.

So I was thinking about potentially buying a supercar. That would be my 'sod it' moment.

So if I were to do it, what would be the best buy?

I do have two conditions...it must (as far as is possible) hold it's value for when I move it on. I am having a 'sod it' moment but I'm not going to throw ten of thousands away on a whim! Also it must be a 'wow look at that' proper supercar. Not a hot Merc, BM or Audrey.

My shortlist so far is:
981 Turbo S. Only problem is 911s are sooo common.
Honda NSX (the new one). Very rare and I like the looks...a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 02:14 PM   #2
Allworth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d (E84)

Go Ford ECOSPORT
      05-16-2024, 02:46 PM   #3
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

I've been here loads of times. You say a proper supercar, well thats a 911 out (albeit a GT3) no matter how fast they might be! So Under £100k...

Gallardo LP560
R8 (questionable super car, but I think it is, just)
F430
AM DBS
Bentley GTC?
A Mac (they leave me cold and I don't know one from the other, and then the horror stories)
GT3 (Maybe, just!)

You know what I have! I don't know anything better and would make the same choice!
Appreciate 1
rokut399.50
      05-16-2024, 03:03 PM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

For me, if you are having a sod it moment, you cant really couch it with "as long as it doesnt lose too much" as you dont know that and things can change..

For me R8 V10+, Aston of some description, Bentley GTC convertible, or maybe, as you seem to like tinkering, some suitable semi classic - I dont think you would go wrong with a Sierra Cossie but maybe an E type, a Dax Cobra, an M3 Evo....

Bit more individual, bit more interesting, and would appeal to the car person in you....
Appreciate 1
rokut399.50
      05-16-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
So many people I know, for one reason or another (mainly health or losing loved ones), have lately been doing the 'sod it, do what you want, when you want' thing. I don't do holidays, I don't do eating out in fancy restaurants, in fact I do anything much! BUT I do cars..
You forgot to mention you build your own houses

Judging by some of the post on here recently, a diesel Kia SUV is what you should aspire to own ..........

......this seems like a life time ago now, the originals are always the best. The original NSX, light weight, manual, totally unlinear power delivery, RWD, and if you find a Type R version, no aircon, no electric windows, no radio, its the total opposite of pretty much every EV(or car??) made today, a proper car that requires proper skill to drive quickly.

I could only afford the cheap mans version at the time, but VTEC just Kicked in Yo!!! Though I suspect you will not find a NSX Type R for under £100k, if at all......looks like your probably need £300k for one today, if I had the cash, it would be a no-brainer buy.

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars...for-sale/46099

Last edited by gangzoom; 05-16-2024 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2190.00
rokut399.50
      05-16-2024, 03:55 PM   #6
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

Full on supercar with the state of the roads in the UK , really ?

My £100k would be going on this , all show with a good bit of go.

:https://preowned.astonmartin.com/en_...agnetic-Silver

K
Appreciate 1
JD64301.00
      05-16-2024, 03:56 PM   #7
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For me an R8 is NOT a 'supercar'. It's an Audrey. Admittedly it looks a bit like one...but not for me.

The problem with a Fezza, for me, is that I would be scared to ever drive it. Not for the driving, just the whole 'delicate diva' thing which is my perception of them. So paying stupid money for a car that never goes anywhere seems just that; stupid.

That is why I like the idea of the NSX (the new one). Being a Honda you just know it will go where you want it to and not complain. I can get it serviced 10 miles away (they have an NSX trained mechanic I checked) for less than £10k.
And an NSX does look like a 'proper' supercar. I don't think I have ever seen one on the road.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2024, 04:02 PM   #8
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Just spend £20k over the next few years hiring different supercars whenever you feel like it. You’ll lose that on buying and selling the car or on servicing and fixing things on it. Less hassle and you get to try different things. I’ve never owned a super car but I’ve hired a fair few. They’re not something I could live with but for a weekend it’s amazing.
Appreciate 2
Pond1922.00
Ennoch2262.50
      05-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #9
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo67 View Post

K
I like Astons, don't get me wrong, but don't really see them as a 'supercar' TBH. They all look the same IMO (like a Jag XK8, don't know why ).

Considering I spent a lot of my life driving up and down 'Aston Hill', as I lived nearby, I thought I would have more of an affinity with them.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not a wealthy person, never have been. Maybe that is what my problem is; if I were to spend £100k on ONE car I would need it to be absolutely perfect in every respect, as £100k is an awful lot of money to me, even these days when a pizza is £25!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:09 PM   #10
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
Just spend £20k over the next few years hiring different supercars whenever you feel like it. You’ll lose that on buying and selling the car or on servicing and fixing things on it. Less hassle and you get to try different things. I’ve never owned a super car but I’ve hired a fair few. They’re not something I could live with but for a weekend it’s amazing.
That is a very good idea! I may look into that.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:15 PM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

OK, now I am confused. An R8, which is a Lambo underneath, isnt a supercar but an NSX is...?

I'm not a supercar person at all, and for me it would have to make me feel good when doing 5 miles an hour and when stood still.

I'd take an Aston even if it looked like a Jag, to be fair I'd take a Jag but it would have to be an E type at 100k...

I love Honda engineering and love the Civic Type R in spite of the looks, and I admire the NSX, but I wouldnt be putting my £100k into one...

But then I love cars but would never drive a supercar, too ostentatious for me. I might buy a Sierra Cossie and put it in a suitable storage and trailer it to shows a few times a year, but really what is the point.

Actually, holidays sound good. A lot of world to see...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:30 PM   #12
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s a good time to buy a Ferrari, they are coming back as THE Supercar, prices will rise for the NA stuff, and Lewis is in one next year. You will be surprised what that will do for the brand and prices.

The new NSX is nice and I think that would hold its money as well, but there is no such thing as a cheap Supercar. What you need to do is assess is, if what you choose to buy will be at very least cost neutral come sale time, and that’s taking into consideration running cost maintenance etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:39 PM   #13
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
OK, now I am confused. An R8, which is a Lambo underneath, isnt a supercar but an NSX is...?

I'm not a supercar person at all, and for me it would have to make me feel good when doing 5 miles an hour and when stood still.

I'd take an Aston even if it looked like a Jag, to be fair I'd take a Jag but it would have to be an E type at 100k...

I love Honda engineering and love the Civic Type R in spite of the looks, and I admire the NSX, but I wouldnt be putting my £100k into one...

But then I love cars but would never drive a supercar, too ostentatious for me. I might buy a Sierra Cossie and put it in a suitable storage and trailer it to shows a few times a year, but really what is the point.

Actually, holidays sound good. A lot of world to see...
I’m not sure some Aston Martins are supercars, just overrated under engineered old man’s cars that need to borrow engines from other brands because they can’t make there own from Fords parts bin that are powerful and good enough.

The James Bond connection can only go so far!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:49 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post
I’m not sure some Aston Martins are supercars, just overrated under engineered old man’s cars that need to borrow engines from other brands because they can’t make there own from Fords parts bin that are powerful and good enough.

The James Bond connection can only go so far!
We wont agree on that, I'm not bothered about the last step in engineering, I like a turbo engine and an alpina... Its how it makes you feel and the only times I've been in an Aston and a Bentley, it made me feel special...

I have a bit the same view of Ferrari's, if you arent on a race track what is the point apart from look at me... and I am definitely not interested in that!

But the most important thing is we can all choose, it would be dull if we wanted the same thing...

I'd spend my £100k on a Mini JCW and invest the rest and have a nice holiday every year on the income!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:50 PM   #15
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Quote:

K
Had one of these on a 12m lease for just before Covid best fun car I had. Only cost £1200 per month on the deal I had !
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 04:53 PM   #16
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Its a difficult one Pond and something I have been pondering over the last couple of years.

The obvious 2, Ferrari & Lamborghini I cannot get that excited about nowadays.... maybe that is an age thing. I think like me you are late 50's and I think it just looks a bit 'desperate' anyone over 40 in a Ferrari or Lambo especially a soft top version. The irony is when you are young and would have really got the most out of these cars they were out of reach and now we can afford them they don't have that same 'wall poster' appeal they had.

I have considered the R8 but as you say they are perceived as just an Audi.

Astons as others have said dont seem to have much differentiation between the models much like McLarens and they just dont feel or look that special to me.

Porsche are in my bad books and to be honest after having driven my sons 2023 911 GTS is was not blown away...... i suspect the GT3 is a different kettle of fish though but at the end of the day it is just a Porsche.

I think the NSX is a cracking left field option and not one I have ever considered but do I want to drop £100k on a Honda..... probably not.

I came to the conclusion that there is not much left so I am going to 'stick' with the Alpine. Good luck with your search though
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2024, 04:57 PM   #17
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

I'd spend my £100k on a Mini JCW and invest the rest and have a nice holiday every year on the income!
That’s fine but the OP posted about supercars not 220bhp Fords, Minis and holidays.
Appreciate 1
Pond1922.00
      05-16-2024, 05:07 PM   #18
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Its a difficult one Pond and something I have been pondering over the last couple of years.

The obvious 2, Ferrari & Lamborghini I cannot get that excited about nowadays.... maybe that is an age thing. I think like me you are late 50's and I think it just looks a bit 'desperate' anyone over 40 in a Ferrari or Lambo especially a soft top version. The irony is when you are young and would have really got the most out of these cars they were out of reach and now we can afford them they don't have that same 'wall poster' appeal they had.

I have considered the R8 but as you say they are perceived as just an Audi.

Astons as others have said dont seem to have much differentiation between the models much like McLarens and they just dont feel or look that special to me.

Porsche are in my bad books and to be honest after having driven my sons 2023 911 GTS is was not blown away...... i suspect the GT3 is a different kettle of fish though but at the end of the day it is just a Porsche.

I think the NSX is a cracking left field option and not one I have ever considered but do I want to drop £100k on a Honda..... probably not.

I came to the conclusion that there is not much left so I am going to 'stick' with the Alpine. Good luck with your search though
LOL I’m 50, the attention they get, does get on your tits, but trust me it’s ALL positive. However I get you are on show, and that’s why I go out early doors on weekends, i have the roads to myself and just enjoy a normally aspirated 500 bhp flat plane V8 howling away, whilst getting a tan. There is nothing like it.
Appreciate 1
rokut399.50
      05-16-2024, 05:44 PM   #19
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

With a nod to the forum origins, is an i8 another leftfielder?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 05:54 PM   #20
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

K
The DB11 is a very beautiful car. It sounds fabulous too. The cars I have currently suit me really well, but I do find myself drawn to Astons. Perhaps it’s an age thing.

I got chatting to a salesman from Aston Edinburgh last year about running costs. It does require a £1200 ish annual service and the warranty can be extended for about £3k a year. Definitely not cheap motoring, but as mentioned in the recent pensions thread, the main risk at this age isn’t running out of money, but being too cautious and not making the most of it.

It doesn’t really fit the definition of a supercar, but in my mid 50s, it’s probably a better all rounder. There are better and cheaper driver’s cars out there (GT4, Alpine, GR Yaris…) but perhaps nothing as special…
Appreciate 1
Pond1922.00
      05-16-2024, 05:59 PM   #21
boba-fett
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
With a nod to the forum origins, is an i8 another leftfielder?
I’ve really gone off them, I don’t think they have aged well, and that rear quarter is a bit

Doors a cool and they actually drive well for a hybrid. It’s no Supercar though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #22
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba-fett View Post

Doors a cool and they actually drive well for a hybrid. It’s no Supercar though.
Why?

Only mentioned as a perceived “sense of occasion” type, and Joe Public probably would see one as a supercar.

My choice for supercar would be a few grand more - Italia vert. Nothing to do with the Vicky BH review, honest….
Appreciate 0