F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47/N57 Tuning knowledge
GetBMWParts

05-29-2024, 06:45 AM   #1
speedbirdblack
Private First Class
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: f30 M-Sport

Garage List
N47/N57 Tuning knowledge

Hi Bimmers!
Any diesel tuning Guru/Experts out there?

Interesting to know what ECU parameters to change inorder to get best output of an engine?

Do tuners taken into account of engine component specifications/tolerance, etc? I understand that N47 for example, uses different pistons, rings etc between different power range.

How hard is it to DIY tune your car according to specific need?

Finally, appreciate if you can share your expertise & experiences.

Cheers!
      05-31-2024, 09:37 AM   #2
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Do you have WinOLS and the hardware to tune it yourself?

Diesels are relatively easy to tune, just add more fuel, but with preferably with more injector pulse than rail pressure as its safer on the pump and piston crowns. Depending on your goals, you might need bigger injectors.

Where it gets tricky is managing the smoke limit and EGTs.

Just get a map done professionally as it will be cheaper and quicker than doing it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 12:00 AM   #3
speedbirdblack
Private First Class
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Do you have WinOLS and the hardware to tune it yourself?

Diesels are relatively easy to tune, just add more fuel, but with preferably with more injector pulse than rail pressure as its safer on the pump and piston crowns. Depending on your goals, you might need bigger injectors.

Where it gets tricky is managing the smoke limit and EGTs.

Just get a map done professionally as it will be cheaper and quicker than doing it yourself.
Thanks for your insights👍

I don't have the tuning software or the necessary hardware at the moment, but I'm considering getting them.

I believe it would be more rewarding to create my own tune and explore the car's potential with each adjustment. By doing this, I can learn how the car responds to specific inputs and make modifications as needed.

It's important for this to be an educated process, so I'm gathering fundamentals and expert experiences. While it does sound daunting, I'm up for the challenge. As you mentioned, diesel tuning isn't as complex as tuning petrol engines. How hard can it be?

I have a few specific questions:

1. When adjusting fuel delivery timing and pressure, isn't it essential to match the air-fuel ratio by calibrating the boost pressure?

2. What about removing the torque limiter? I understand it's there for a reason, but what benefits could I expect without it?

Cheers!
      06-03-2024, 02:09 PM   #4
barf
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

I would disagree on the fact that tuning diesels is easier than petrol. With diesel if you make a serious mistake with fueling, for example SOI then you can blow your engine quite easily.
There is more things to take into account on diesels but that is a long lesson to write.
Getting Winols is the easy part, defining maps and understanding them and also how the engine really works is the hard part.
It's best to leave the tuning to professionals, if you really want to get it cheaper then buy a cable, buy the tuning from somewhere reputable and flash yourself but beware since you could brick your ECU with chinese tools and EDC17 is not always easily recoverable and sometimes it's easier to buy a new ECU and clone it.
It's much easier to learn if you compare what has been changed also but you could get someone else's bad habits doing it this way. Forget the free tuning files on the internet, they are 99% of times pure garbage.
I can tune myself but I have been doing it for a very long time now.
No one really wants to help you either for free since lessons are very-very expensive and time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:19 PM   #5
speedbirdblack
Private First Class
Sri Lanka
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=barf;31203070]I would disagree on the fact that tuning diesels is easier than petrol. With diesel if you make a serious mistake with fueling, for example SOI then you can blow your engine quite easily.
There is more things to take into account on diesels but that is a long lesson to write.
Getting Winols is the easy part, defining maps and understanding them and also how the engine really works is the hard part.
It's best to leave the tuning to professionals, if you really want to get it cheaper then buy a cable, buy the tuning from somewhere reputable and flash yourself but beware since you could brick your ECU with chinese tools and EDC17 is not always easily recoverable and sometimes it's easier to buy a new ECU and clone it.
It's much easier to learn if you compare what has been changed also but you could get someone else's bad habits doing it this way. Forget the free tuning files on the internet, they are 99% of times pure garbage.
I can tune myself but I have been doing it for a very long time now.
No one really wants to help you either for free since lessons are very-very expensive and time consuming.

I appreciate your perspective on the challenges of tuning diesel engines. You raise some valid points about the risks involved, especially with fueling and the potential for serious engine damage.

The complexity of understanding maps and engine operations in WinOLS is indeed daunting and not something to take lightly.

I agree that leaving tuning to professionals is often the safest route, especially for those with no industry background. it's clear that experience plays a significant role in successful tuning.

However it's not a bad idea to learn fundamentals of tuning. It will always lead to the right direction.

Thank you for sharing your insights.