F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW 330d X Drive
Studio RSR

05-14-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
5haks
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d X Drive

BMW 330d X Drive

Hi I’m

New here so please bare with

I just got my first BMW 2017 330d x drive it has run flats any tips as to what mods to carry out and any best practices

I noticed the car doesn’t have auto boot lid closure but a friend has a 2016 4 series which does is this an extra option ?

Thanks
Appreciate 2
danb19792010.50
Alscoob2193.00
      05-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #2
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5haks View Post
Hi I’m

I just got my first BMW 2017 330d x drive it has run flats any tips as to what mods to carry out and any best practices

I noticed the car doesn’t have auto boot lid closure but a friend has a 2016 4 series which does is this an extra option ?

Thanks
Welcome to the forums...

RFTs or non RFTs - can of worms Run whichever suit you best and as good a tyre as you can afford

Some rate RFTs, others don't (myself included)

I run non RFTs all year round (separate set for summers and winters etc); have done for years and never any issues

But I have a decent tyre puncture repair kit, inflator kit in my boot at all times

Re powered tailgate; do you mean it opens when you press the fob / button in car, but you've to press the close button on the tailgate for it to shut? If so, you can have it coded to the car (Bimmercode is the simplest option)

Or do you mean your tailgate is manual but want it to be auto?

And when you say mods/best practises; what exactly are you thinking of?
      05-14-2024, 01:44 PM   #3
5haks
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d X Drive

Hi

Thank you for the reply

Regarding the tailgate it opens from the fob and inside the car but have to close it manually. I wanted to know if this was a optional extra as i have seen it on a older car.

Re mods I just wanted to know what mods people do stage 1 and if anything else anyone can recommend. what are the options if they are any quick wins. I have read up on tyres

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 01:46 PM   #4
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Hi

Thank you for the reply

Regarding the tailgate it opens from the fob and inside the car but have to close it manually. I wanted to know if this was a optional extra as i have seen it on a older car.

Re mods I just wanted to know what mods people do stage 1 and if anything else anyone can recommend. what are the options if they are any quick wins. I have read up on tyres

Thanks
Does your tailgate have the close button on the plastic cover inside; or does your tailgate just 'pop' open when you press the button but doesn't fully open?

And mods - the worlds your oyster; so ask more specific questions about what you're thinking of doing and you'll get better, more specific answers
5haks3.00
Alscoob2193.00
      05-15-2024, 03:52 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

When I had a 2014 330d F31 although it was S-drive I ran the standard RFT before I changed to non-RFT, I recall wishing I had made the switch sooner, much better ride quality IMO. I too, as danb1979 used to run summers with a seperate winter set and given it was 2 wheel drive never had an issue in poor conditions or snow, so that, depending on where you live is a good option to give thought to.

I had considered changing the springs for ACS at the time but given it seemed quite low to start with (M-sport springs) I discounted it, while it would have helped the handling seeing as I had a front spliiter I thought it was a recipie for disaster, so left that alone. I did however fit 12mm spacers all round which helped with the overall ride once a full geometry set up was carried out. However, as you are x-drive the car will have 'SE' springs and a taller ride height (circa +10mm) to the s-drive, so you could consider some ACS or Eibach springs, many have made the change with good results. (I had full ACS sports suspension on my later F31 340i, was superb).

As far as tuning goes I liked the performance & economy of the 330d ( bought it as I wanted 2 wheel drive not 4 wheel drive & it was the only option) but thought it could do with a little more power (standard 258bhp). I liked the way it delivered the power / torque and wanted to retain that so opted for a Steinbauer tuning box, it really give it more of what it already had but delivered it in the same way. While they are fairly expensive I bought it second hand and then sold it on when I changed the car, so not such an issue.

If you do a little research on Steinbauer you will note that it is not your typical TDi tune but one that connects to the individual injectors so also meters the fuel and doesnt confuse the system by giving it false info to make it overfuel. Never had it checked but likely took it to the 335d power level, interstingly it also smoothed out the gear change and did away with the harsh change if you short shifted with the foot down.

Brakes with the bigger blue calipers were okay but did change the discs when needed and replaced with OEM M performance dimpled and grooved and some better pads (M3's from memory).

All in all those were the only mods that I needed and it proved to be an excellent car over 4 years and 80K miles with a lifetime 42mpg average, which was impressive for the performance. Obviously there are cosmetic changes people like, but they are down to the individual and I never wanted to make it look anything other than OEM.

Enjoy your car
Appreciate 2
danb19792010.50
5haks3.00
      05-15-2024, 04:36 AM   #6
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

OP - you have got an F31 haven't you, and not an F30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
As far as tuning goes I liked the performance & economy of the 330d ( bought it as I wanted 2 wheel drive not 4 wheel drive & it was the only option) but thought it could do with a little more power (standard 258bhp). I liked the way it delivered the power / torque and wanted to retain that so opted for a Steinbauer tuning box, it really give it more of what it already had but delivered it in the same way. While they are fairly expensive I bought it second hand and then sold it on when I changed the car, so not such an issue.
Yeah I've been looking at those recently. Safest bet really as it doesn't mess with the boost or fuel rail pressures, and doesn't touch the ECU software either, so is completely invisible to BMW. BMW will know if a remap has been written to the ECU, contrary to what remappers claim.

Stupid money new though, so you'd have to trust you won't get stiffed by a used one from ebay.

As for runflats, they are not all created equally. Pilot Sport 4 ZP ride so well, they don't even feel like run flats compared to utter garbage like P Zeros, SOO1s, Turanzas etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:04 AM   #7
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post

Yeah I've been looking at those recently. Safest bet really as it doesn't mess with the boost or fuel rail pressures, and doesn't touch the ECU software either, so is completely invisible to BMW. BMW will know if a remap has been written to the ECU, contrary to what remappers claim.

Stupid money new though, so you'd have to trust you won't get stiffed by a used one from ebay.

As for runflats, they are not all created equally. Pilot Sport 4 ZP ride so well, they don't even feel like run flats compared to utter garbage like P Zeros, SOO1s, Turanzas etc etc.
Yes they are good I was quoted £850 +vat for the Steinbauer for the 540i so it's on the list as I thought that was OK given I can sell it on after. The one on my 330d was faultless and I was the 3rd owner.

I've heard that about the ZP's are you running 19's? My G31 is on 20's and with Goodyear RFT, they are awful so maybe the ZP's may work in place of non RFT 20's?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 03:11 AM   #8
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes they are good I was quoted £850 +vat for the Steinbauer for the 540i so it's on the list as I thought that was OK given I can sell it on after. The one on my 330d was faultless and I was the 3rd owner.

I've heard that about the ZP's are you running 19's? My G31 is on 20's and with Goodyear RFT, they are awful so maybe the ZP's may work in place of non RFT 20's?
I haven't read anything bad about Steinbauer boxes, so I might look on ebay later.

No I got rid of my 442Ms in favour of 18" 400Ms. I think it's more the quality of the 4ZP that makes the difference because there wasn't much of a ride quality improvement, if any, reducing from 19" P Zero RFT to 18" SOO1 RFT.

If I still had the 19s, I would have still gone for the 4ZPs. I honestly can't say if they would work for you on 20s.

They are easily the best thing I've done to the car so far. Wet grip and aquaplaning resistance are both excellent. They are quiet, comfy and zero tramlining. I've gone from having to grip the steering wheel tightly with 2 hands to keep it straight over rough uneven roads, to literally just resting 2 fingers on the wheel. Bliss. It's a different car
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2193.00
      05-17-2024, 03:17 AM   #9
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Here you go...

Name:  bmw_f30.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  47.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 03:49 AM   #10
Leeg1633
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW f31 330d xdrive

Quote:
Hi I’m

Thanks
Just got rid of my f31 330d xdrive, it had stage 1 engine map, stage 3 xhp gearbox map, eibach lowering springs and michelin ps4 non rft. Made an awesome driving machine and family car. Highly recommend all of the above. I kind of miss it still...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 04:26 AM   #11
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Here you go...

Attachment 3459484
Thanks for that. Impressive gains

Absolutely nothing on ebay at the moment and currently £1100ish retail, which is a bit of chunky price for a rapidly depreciating car. I'll keep my eye on ebay!
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2193.00
      05-18-2024, 03:20 AM   #12
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Thanks for that. Impressive gains

Absolutely nothing on ebay at the moment and currently £1100ish retail, which is a bit of chunky price for a rapidly depreciating car. I'll keep my eye on ebay!
You'll likely have a long wait

If you don't find anything I'm thinking of getting it for the G31, so as I have dealt with the UK sales guy, who is not far from me, perhaps we can get a better discount if we get two from him. I'll let you know if it becomes a serious option to look at.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 07:38 AM   #13
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
You'll likely have a long wait

If you don't find anything I'm thinking of getting it for the G31, so as I have dealt with the UK sales guy, who is not far from me, perhaps we can get a better discount if we get two from him. I'll let you know if it becomes a serious option to look at.
Thanks buddy, very kind of you. If you do go for it, let me know

Knowing how it works, I think I would prefer that method over a permanent and irreversible ECU remap
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2193.00