F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Consequence of the BMW downsizing - the tuners are back to life!
ARMA SPEED

12-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Consequence of the BMW downsizing - the tuners are back to life!

Well it could be, that BMW and in particular the M GmbH has really done them self no favor with ​​the engine downsizing for the F3x and the planned one for the F8x ... especially since it is probably done more largely from pure cost reasons as it is done for fuel consumption reasons (see M5!) ... Perhaps this engines just lost the fascination, that now well "again" will provide by the tuners

Problem especially with F3x/F8x seems to be that the engine compartment seems to be well-advised quite large ... the S63 will probably fit in pretty easily.

I just read in the AutoBild Sportscars regarding first tuning trends for the new 3er ... that both BMW tuners Racing Dynamics and Manhart will bring the S63 under the hood (if it is so easy probably even more tuners come on this idea?) ... and as the ultimate proof of the size of the engine compartment, Manhart also still do the same with the V12 BiTurbo of the 7 Series !!!!!!!!!!!

Greets Uli_HH
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

The tuners are back to life indeed, but it's because one thing: the rebirth of turbo engines. From a naturally aspirated engine you could barely extract 10-15hp more with huge costs, while on the new 328i you can add 50hp with just a tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
Well it could be, that BMW and in particular the M GmbH has really done them self no favor with ​​the engine downsizing for the F3x and the planned one for the F8x ... especially since it is probably done more largely from pure cost reasons as it is done for fuel consumption reasons (see M5!)
Sorry, but that's bull. It's all about emissions today, and to get down your emissions, you have to get down the fuel/mile consumption.

Downsizing engine = less consumption and emission. Still want the same HP numbers as before ? Throw in a turbo or supercharger.

That's all there is to it.

Last edited by hwelvaar; 12-09-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 0