F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDrive...Is it worth it???
ARMA SPEED

07-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #45
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Are there any performance advantages to dry handling with xDrive? *In theory the system should perform like a limited slip on both axles no? *Not sure if the braking of the slipping wheel would counteract any sort of performance advantage in a turn. *Also not clear if the system itself would be quick enough to react.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #46
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

FWIW,

With the F30, you can't get the Sport Suspension per se with AWD, but you can get the M Adaptive Suspension with AWD just like you can with RWD. You can also get Sport Steering and Sport AT with AWD just like with RWD.

I assume past differences between RWD and AWD will be lessened in the F30 if both the RWD and the AWD are equipped with these three options and have the same wheels & tires.

Thanks
Bruce
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #47
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
FWIW,

With the F30, you can't get the Sport Suspension per se with AWD, but you can get the M Adaptive Suspension with AWD just like you can with RWD. You can also get Sport Steering and Sport AT with AWD just like with RWD.

I assume past differences between RWD and AWD will be lessened in the F30 if both the RWD and the AWD are equipped with these three options and have the same wheels & tires.

Thanks
Bruce
maybe there is still hope. according to the latest press release from BMW re: F31, adaptive M suspension will be available, combined with 10mm lowered stance (confirmed). it is safe to assume they can do it for the sedan as well but whether they actually bring it over is another question.
Dynamic options: M Sport package, Adaptive M Sport suspension and sports automatic transmission.
For out-and-out enthusiasts, further features are available to enhance the dynamic driving qualities of the new BMW 3 Series and give them a distinctive visual dimension as well. The M Sport package, which will become available after launch, is designed for this very purpose and has been developed specifically for this model series. It includes the lowered M Sport suspension, featuring a 10 millimeter drop in ride height, firmer suspension and damping, and larger anti-roll bars. Also featured are 18 or 19-inch M alloy wheels. The package is completed by an M aerodynamics package featuring special body parts, and by chrome tailpipes, exclusive exterior paintwork and interior trim to match. An Adaptive M Sport suspension with electronically controlled damping is also optionally available for the new BMW 3 Series Touring equipped with the M Sport Package. Based on incoming information about body and wheel acceleration, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, vehicle speed and steering wheel position, an electronic control unit adapts the damper mapping to the road surface and driving situation. At the same time the driver can use the Driving Dynamics Control switch to vary the basic suspension characteristics between more comfortable or sportier settings. An 8-speed sports automatic transmission with faster shift times and sporty steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts is also available as an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #48
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
maybe there is still hope. according to the latest press release from BMW re: F31, adaptive M suspension will be available, combined with 10mm lowered stance (confirmed). it is safe to assume they can do it for the sedan as well but whether they actually bring it over is another question.
Dynamic options: M Sport package, Adaptive M Sport suspension and sports automatic transmission.
For out-and-out enthusiasts, further features are available to enhance the dynamic driving qualities of the new BMW 3 Series and give them a distinctive visual dimension as well. The M Sport package, which will become available after launch, is designed for this very purpose and has been developed specifically for this model series. It includes the lowered M Sport suspension, featuring a 10 millimeter drop in ride height, firmer suspension and damping, and larger anti-roll bars. Also featured are 18 or 19-inch M alloy wheels. The package is completed by an M aerodynamics package featuring special body parts, and by chrome tailpipes, exclusive exterior paintwork and interior trim to match. An Adaptive M Sport suspension with electronically controlled damping is also optionally available for the new BMW 3 Series Touring equipped with the M Sport Package. Based on incoming information about body and wheel acceleration, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, vehicle speed and steering wheel position, an electronic control unit adapts the damper mapping to the road surface and driving situation. At the same time the driver can use the Driving Dynamics Control switch to vary the basic suspension characteristics between more comfortable or sportier settings. An 8-speed sports automatic transmission with faster shift times and sporty steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts is also available as an option.
I thought xdrive was still getting sports suspension but not being lowered by 10mm like the non xdrive is...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #49
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
FWIW,

Thanks
Bruce

This is what I have been wondering? IMO if you can get all wheel drive and the M suspension, then I will get the xDrivie, this topic has been one that I have not been able to confirm anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #50
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
This is what I have been wondering? IMO if you can get all wheel drive and the M suspension, then I will get the xDrivie, this topic has been one that I have not been able to confirm anywhere.
You can, I already ordered a 335i xDrive M Sport with the handling package (M Adaptive Suspension + Variable Steering)

However, xDrive equipped F30s get a different front suspension setup (To accommodate the front end xDrive components) than the base and sport suspension F30s. Hence the lack of drop in ride height.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #51
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Btw, here is an actual picture of a pre production xDrive equipped M Sport F30 sitting next to one with the sport suspension. The difference appears to be very minimal , hoping this translates into production models. Previous gen xDrive cars have a noticeably higher ride height.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #52
manicottiK
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i (2017 G30)

As Bruce said, you can get xDrive with the regular suspension and add M Adaptive Suspension, just as you can get the RWD Sport models and upgrade their non-adaptive sport suspensions to the M Adaptive variety. Most folks here say that on the xDrive models, the M Adaptive is the same as on the non-xDrive models EXCEPT that the xDrive variants are NOT lowered 10mm (about 3/8").
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I am confused. So, you can get the adaptive M suspension, but the car is not lowered?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #54
manicottiK
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i (2017 G30)

That's my understanding -- but only on the xDrive models; RWD do get lowered 10mm.

I believe that the suspension choices are:
RWD: regular, sport (lowered 10mm), or adaptive (lowered 10mm)
xDrive: regular or adaptive (no lowering)

I've picked up this info from reading lots of posts here. I may be repeating bad info. (This is the Internet, after all!) If anyone knows different, please correct this and me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #55
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds
I live in an area of Ontario known as the snow belt....we are right between lake Erie and Lake Huron...so we get hammered at times. But I will still get a RWD. A couple of reasons. For starters, I will buy good snow tires. Secondly, it's cheaper. Finally, I live on a bus route, so my street is almost always ploughed quickly.

Even when it the deep snow is on the ground for a few days...think about winter time in North America. Snowy cities clear their snow well. So between December and March, you might have 10 days where the snow is actually a problem on the road. The majority of days the roads are clear because the snow is off to the side.

I would say go with what you'll enjoy the majority of the time...the other 8 months of the year.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #56
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
Get the 335i xDrive because it's faster 0-60 than RWD...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690579
Actually on dry pavement...the RWD is a bit faster (BMW's numbers show it). On snow and ice...the AWD will be faster off the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #57
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

BMW Worldwide's published numbers can be found here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ata/index.html

Those pages show the xDrive as being quicker in either 328 or 335 trim.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #58
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post

Cool site! Not sure how I've missed that.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #59
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post

You know...you are right. Even the US BMW Booklet shows the x drive is 1/10 of a second faster than RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #60
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

And on a wet road the Xdrive is probably a full second faster to 60
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #61
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

The way I look at it 90% of the 'habitable' planet has no snow or ice on the roads 10 months out of the year. Unless you live in Russia or a remote region where there is NO infrastructure for snow plowing. And in that case chances are you already drive a suitable SUV/Off road/ beater vehicle and are NOT looking to buy a new 3 series BMW.

Considering that FACT (that 80% of the year the car is not going to be driven on snow or ice) and that AWD diminishes your MPGs by a noticeable amount I would NEVER get an X Drive car.

Just for the MPG differences alone turns me off.

But in terms of 'sporty' handling and acceleration (something 99% of people BUY a BMW for) am I to understand that the F30 Xdrive is BETTER than the F30 RWD!?

My current BMW is RWD and I've leased two C Class Mercedes with AWD since 2009 (a 2010 C3004matic and a 2012 C300 4matic).

On paper the C300 and my BMW are about the same performance but real world comparison and my experiences has taught me that the AWD is noticeably sluggish off the blocks and DOES NOT handle any better on dry (or wet pavements) than my BMW while s getting something like 18 to 19 mpg s over all where as my BMW gets 26/27 mpgs over all.

Even on deep snow or ice driving (where I live there are a lot of steep hills) the AWD on all seasons seems just as vulnerable to sliding and slipping down a hill or while braking hard in traffic as my BMW wearing the same tires.

The ONLY argument I cannot contest is whether 4matic and xDrive are the same. But I suspect the xDrive to be better than 4matic from what I've seen advertised about xDrive.

Funny enough of all the cars I've ever owned and driven the 2008 FWD Honda Accord (on all seasons) I leased back in 2007 was the best car in snow, ice, deep slush, etc. For some reason the winter I had that Accord we got extreme amounts of snow in the North East USA.

I took that Accord up the Catskills mountain when I went Ice Climbing in a snow blizzard and I would never forget how that car got me down the mountain safely and 200 miles home of driving thru a pitch black snow blizzard!

My 2012 4matic can barely make it down the 45 degree inclined driveway that wraps around from the back parking area to the front my condo complex without slipping.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 03-11-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #62
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
The way I look at it 90% of the 'habitable' planet has no snow or ice on the roads 10 months out of the year. Unless you live in Russia or a remote region where there is NO infrastructure for snow plowing. And in that case chances are you already drive a suitable SUV/Off road/ beater vehicle and are NOT looking to buy a new 3 series BMW.

Considering that FACT (that 80% of the year the car is not going to be driven on snow or ice) and that AWD diminishes your MPGs by a noticeable amount I would NEVER get an X Drive car.

But in terms of 'sporty' handling and acceleration (something 99% of people BUY a BMW for) am I to understand that the F30 Xdrive is BETTER than the F30 RWD!?

My current BMW is RWD and I've leased two C Class Mercedes with AWD since 2009 (a 2010 C3004matic and a 2012 C300 4matic).

On paper the C300 and my BMW are about the same performance but real world comparison and my experiences has taught me that the AWD is noticeably sluggish off the blocks and DOES NOT handle any better on dry (or wet pavements) than my BMW while s getting something like 18 to 19 mpg s over all where as my BMW gets 26/27 mpgs over all.

Even on deep snow or ice driving (where I live there are a lot of steep hills) the AWD on all seasons seems just as vulnerable to sliding and slipping down a hill or while braking hard in traffic as my BMW wearing the same tires.

The ONLY argument I cannot contest is whether 4matic and xDrive are the same. But I suspect the xDrive to be better than 4matic from what I've seen advertised about xDrive.

Funny enough of all the cars I've ever owned and driven the 2008 FWD Honda Accord (on all seasons) I leased back in 2007 was the best car in snow, ice, deep slush, etc. For some reason the winter I had that Accord we got extreme amounts of snow in the North East USA.

I took that Accord up the Catskills mountain when I went Ice Climbing in a snow blizzard and I would never forget how that car got me down the mountain safely and 200 miles home of driving thru a pitch black snow blizzard!

My 2012 4matic can barely make it down the 45 degree inclined driveway that wraps around from the back parking area to the front my condo complex without slipping.
XDrive is on almost every BMW in my area. Its one of the reasons I am even considering it. I've never seen one bmw Xdrive on the side of the road during a snow storm. I've seen plenty of flipped over Jeeps, rwd ford mustangs... but never an XDrive...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

Many people wrongly think the AWD only useful in snow but this intelligent xdrive system gives a lot of extra traction in wet/damp weather as well all year around :thumbsup
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

Never felt my xDrive 335i e90 was lacking in the performance department. I also live at the top of a hill that gets plenty of snow in the winter. RWD with proper tires might get you through most situations on flat roads, but good luck getting up steep snow covered hills.
      03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #65
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

I agree. I do think Xdrive is a good system but again it depends on your needs and where you live. I had a Audi S4 a few cars ago and I will say that car was great in any conditions but the AWD and 8cyl. motor were a horror scene on MPG. I was seeing 14 and 15 MPG. For me I know for a fact that a good set of dedicated snows on RWD will get you where you need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
XDrive is on almost every BMW in my area. Its one of the reasons I am even considering it. I've never seen one bmw Xdrive on the side of the road during a snow storm. I've seen plenty of flipped over Jeeps, rwd ford mustangs... but never an XDrive...
So, Jeeps are 4 wheel drive and you see them flipped over. Seems to me that is operator induced. You can have any system you want, AWD, X Drive, 4 matic or plain old RWD. In the end if you drive like an ass you will pay the price. I see all types of vehicles stranded on the side of the road and flipped over too. People get a false sense of security with AWD systems and drive in snow and ice like they're on a dry road. It's comes down to common sense. RWD with dedicated snow tires will do the job. If you want to spend the extra cash on Xdrive then that is your choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #66
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Where I live in New York City/Westchester County the price of gas affects me 365 days of the year but we only get "driving-impairing" snow and ice storms maybe 3 to 5 occasions out of the year and most times the roads are salted, plowed and cleared by the time you 'need' to drive somewhere.

In the last 10 years of driving I can only remember ONE occasion where driving my BMW thru a snow/ice storm scared the crap out of me. (That was my 1995 318i BMW and to fault myself I had old bald tires when the fast moving storm caught me driving home. I swear I gained a new respect for fog lamps and BMW's exceptional use of LSD on those older cars.)

For me this is why I regret leasing a 17/24 mpg/228hp C3004matic and why I most likely would not buy an xDrive BMW over RWD.

If I'm going to sacrifice mpgs like that I'd rather sacrifice it for performance and speed.

I mean at the end of the day if MPGs were important would you rather own a 17/24mpg 550i M sport or a 17/24mpg 335xi?

That is how I've always viewed it.

But if xDrive on the F30 is said to improve handling and performance then and ONLY then would I buy a xDrive over a RWD.

That was actually my question?

I seen a couple of xDrive tutorial videos but only have a mild sense of what xDrive is doing in regards to turning and cornering but are you xDrivers seeing this vast improvement in acceleration, handling and HP in real world situations?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 03-11-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0